Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As a non-racer in very good (if not excellent) physical condition, I am having trouble separating training from performance. How does one go about training without pushing the limits? Whenever I ride it seems like the end result equals the same average speed which is around 20mph give or take. They say there are recovery rides and such. There is the club ride which goes much faster due to pacelining. Any suggestions or similar experiences. Am I pushing things to hard all the time or should I slow down on occasion? I know i am not a racer. Maybe a better question is what if? Riding in Michigan on generally flat terrain with some short climbs. Try to ride at a higher cadence as well.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Intervals

bisi_maan said:
How does one go about training without pushing the limits?
You need to read up a little on structured training. There are several good books on the market by the likes of Fred Matheny and Joe Friel. The short answer is that training is made up of various intensity/duration activities. To be able to go faster, consider doing 10 to 20 minute intervals at "not quite panting" pace, with easy spins of 3-5 minutes in between. If increasing your average speed is your only goal, then these intervals will work. Shorter, more intense invervals help you develop the ability to accelerate rapidly. Recovery periods/days are needed to let your muscles rebuild while keeping the blood flow high and building aerobic base.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
What's the question?

Kerry outlined some typical training tactics, but if you're not racing I don't get what difference it makes. Are you wanting to race? Or just improve your speed? Avg vs. top speed?

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
BugMan said:
Kerry outlined some typical training tactics, but if you're not racing I don't get what difference it makes. Are you wanting to race? Or just improve your speed? Avg vs. top speed?
IME JRA rides are fun. TRAINING rides hurt (cept for the recovery rides...)

If you're not racing, don't plan on racing, and don't need to get 'fast' don't do anything different.

If you ARE planning on racing, etc. then by all means read up on some training. http://www.coachcarl.com/ is a good link to get started on some basics about coaching, etc. I've used Friel's book with success, but I've also been racing/training for a long-ish time.

HTH,

M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Training at intensity will tend to produce moderate gains in a short period of time. However, unless you take the time to work on your aerobic base (achieved by longer distance riding at a low intensity), your overall ability will be limited (such training is normally best done alone so you can call the pace). Even if your a non-racer, everyone can benefit from a training program. I agree with Kerry. You will learn that your body will not reach it's athletic potential without exposing it to the different facets of training. At the end of the day your increased performance will be a product of your low intensity (aerobic) development. It is in this aspect of training you can achieve the most gain.
One of the best explanations I've come across is that explained by coaching legend Arthur Lydiard in a lecture he gave in Japan back in 1990. Although primarily he discusses running, the principles are the same. Here's the link if you'd like to read through it:
http://www.geocities.com/gprrc/lydiard.html
All the best with your riding!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts