Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm in search for a wheelset that's durable enough I'm 185lbs. and ride on not so very good roads. My choices as of now: shimano r600, ksyrium equipe, american classic 420, 2nd hand but pretty new condition 03 mavic carbone. Your help would be appreciated as the generic wheelset that came from my previous bike is not up to par broke spokes after only 300mi. not to mention the front bearings are also busted.

G

·
Check out www.spinlitecycling.com. You can go two routes there. Custom build a set which will enable you to choose the number of spokes, spoke gauge, and lacing. They also have great deals on pre-built wheels. I'm 6'2", 180lbs and have two sets from them. One is a custom build set of climbing wheels, and the other was a pre-built set of everyday wheels.

G

·
I also forgot to mention one other thing, the owner, Lyle answers the phone everytime I call and he will work with you one on one to help you build the wheels that will suit your weight and riding style. Very professional.

· Registered
364 Posts
The ksyrium equipes came on my bike stock (the all black version with round spokes.) The straight pull, straight gauge spokes seem sturdy enough, and the rims seem beefy.

I don't think of them as a nice set of wheels, but if you can get a deal on them, they'd sure enough be sturdy for training. Far stronger than AC 420s or even the Shimano r600. They use traditional cup and cone bearings, and after about 6000 training miles on them, they've held tension, stayed true, etc. I should probably relube the hubs soon, but as far as training wheels, get 'em if you can.

· Registered
8 Posts
I would second Spinlite, I have placed a order with Lyle and expecting the wheels shortly, hopefully later this week. I have called spinlite 3x and spoke to Lyle everytime. He helped me figure out what wheels were good for me. Hopefully the wheel build is as good as his service. But I hav not read any negetive comments about his wheels yet. only praises.

· Registered
94 Posts
Training

I have an Open Pro with 105 hubs that I use for training and American Classic 420s. I "planned" on using the 420s as race only wheels but being a slcaker, I typically keep them on for all rides. I love the wheels and abuse them, badly. They hold true and have been bomb proof. I weigh 155 so I'm not the heaviest or lightest.

I really like the OP as well.

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Go "conventional"

mikey_mike said:
Hi I'm in search for a wheelset that's durable enough I'm 185lbs. and ride on not so very good roads. My choices as of now: shimano r600, ksyrium equipe, american classic 420, 2nd hand but pretty new condition 03 mavic carbone. Your help would be appreciated as the generic wheelset that came from my previous bike is not up to par broke spokes after only 300mi. not to mention the front bearings are also busted.
Don't bother with pre-builts like Ksyriums or the Shimano. And definitely stay away from anything American Classic.

The best choice IMO, for a daily training wheelset that can handle any and all abuse is to lace Mavic CXP-33 rims to either Shimano Ultegra or Campy Chorus hubs with butted DT spokes, 3x, brass nipples. Lots of people can build these wheels for you, but if you want a good build with a decent price check out the "custom" wheel builder option at www.excelsports.com

I have a pair of CXP-33/Chorus wheels built by Excel that have seen probably 20000 km of training. They are 32 hole front/rear, 3x, brass nipples with DT Revolution (14/17/14g) spokes everywhere except for the drive side where I spec'd the heavier DT Competition (14/15/14g). I think I have put a spoke wrench on them twice in 20K km, and each time I think I was just being obsessive as they have remained very true for their existence. The beauty of a wheelset like this is that the hubs are easily serviceable and spokes are easy to find. Not always true with pre-builts.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
yes, get regular wheels

built by a good builder. I can second the recommendation for Excel. Ultegra hubs are very reliable. You can get Mavic Open Pro rims laced to Ultegra hubs for half (or less) than the cost of a set of AC 420s. For training, reliability is more important than light weight or aerodynamics.

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I think everyone would agree, buy from a builder with reputation, maintained and serviced regularly.
The three wheelsets I have had the least trouble with are OpenPros 32/3x Centaur hubs, Moskva 32/3x Chorus hubs and Mavic CXP30 tubular 32/3x to record hubs not to forget the Proton front wheel.

Cut and pasted from excel, not bad at all...
Front Wheel
Description Weight Price Discount
Campagnolo Centaur Hub Front 32 Hole 186g $64.95 $58.46
Mavic Reflex Rim 32 Hole 375g $64.95 $58.46
Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 144g $31.68 $28.51
Brass nipples 30g $0.00 $0.00
Labor $20.00 $18.00
Total for the Front Wheel 735g $181.58 $163.42

Rear Wheel
Description Weight Price Discount
Campagnolo Centaur Hub Rear 32 Hole 332g $119.95 $107.96
Mavic Reflex Rim 32 Hole 375g $64.95 $58.46
Drive Side Revolution spokes, 72g $15.84 $14.26
Non-Drive Side Revolution spokes, 3 cross lacing 72g $15.84 $14.26
Brass nipples 30g $0.00 $0.00
Labor $20.00 $18.00
Total for the Rear Wheel 881g $236.58 $212.92

Total 1,616g $418.16 $376.34

· Registered
364 Posts
Yes, I think 32 spokers on shimano hubs would be the way to go. A heavier rim would be even more durable than the open pro, like the cxp21 or cxp23 or velocity deep V or fusion, or sun venus, or any 'touring' type rim around the 550 gram mark.

I have a personal grudge against the open pro because of the "click click" sound and the fact that I have a set of them that have MANY broken eyelets.

However, I think the Equipes have made darn fine training wheels for me for the first 5000 miles or so, and they don't appear to be going downhill anytime soon. I'll probably race cross on them this winter, and I still think that if you can score a set for around $200, it's a hot deal.

American Classic hubs don't have the best reputation for durability, so stay away from those...

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I build all my own wheels (cook a mean curry too!) and have noticed that iffen ya wanna train on em, ya needs to overbuild em a little.

Favorite training wheels are still MA40s (and/or MA2s) in either 32 or 36 holes.

The ones I'm riding now are Reflex Ceramics that were probably built in the latter part of the 90s. The rear's an original SSC team issue with 3 logos. The front got replaced at some point between building and when I got em a while ago. Still going strong even after a track sprinter-type owned em before me...

Least durable wheelset I've built has to be a 24/24 Am Classic FW wheelset using Ti spokes. Broke spokes and felt funny... Once I went to a 24/28 setup with steel spokes, they were some durable wheels.

After that it has to be my 600/GL330 wheels when I was using em for cross. Those light box-section rims just didn't hold up. I was allatime truing em. Fixed that issue going to a Velocity Escape rim.

I've got a pair of Mavic 571/2 hubs and a set of Campy Omega XL clincher rims that I wanna build up. Problem is... the rims are in Phx and the hubs are in the SF Bay area. Some day!

HTH,

M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.