Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of work, family and other sports, I'm able to ride bicycles about 3 days a week. I typically have anywhere from 40 mins to an hour each time. I've been trying to get into better shape for some local B level group rides.

Some of my cycling friends suggest I need to ride at least 5 hours a week. Ive been reading some of the research on interval training vs. steady state training. They are getting pretty amazing results in 1/3 - 1/2 the time even when measuring endurance improvement type of measures.

So do you think that you can get into good group riding pace shape by just riding 3 days per week at an average of 45 - 60 minutes, by adding several high intensity intervals (sprint hills etc) to most rides? In addition adding some higher rep leg presses and other functional lifting to a strength workout a couple of times a week ( I need to do these workouts for other sports).

Thoughts?

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Try Chris Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist book. But I think that is even more time than you are spending. If the other sports also keep you fit, you are probably in good shape and also more rounded than most of us.

Personally, I get up real early to ride three days a week and go out for longer rides once or twice on weekends.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You'd need to fit it into the big picture, so to speak, with your other sports and it's really tough to say without knowing what and how often those are. For example you probably wouldn't want to do intervals very often if you are playing hockey 4 times a week but would if you're playing golf as another sport.

And you say you're doing this for the other sport. What do you want to develop for that sport?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The intervals will help but you still should try to get the time on the bike. The intervals will help you ride harder, and climb and sprint faster, while getting less winded, but you still need to build up a base of miles. Your lungs might be able to handle the longer rides but you also need to be concerned about your other body parts like your back, neck, core, knees, shoulders, etc. They need the time on the bike.

How are you going to find the time to do the B rides?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Can the good pace functional strength training (dead lifts, various cable exercises and various core exercises) twice a week substitute some for the demands on back, neck, core, knees, shoulders etc. from long rides? It seems to help a lot in the other sports.

Other sports are adventure type sports - dirt bike motorcycling, skiing, mountain biking, kayaking etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If it were up to my wife I wouldn't ride at all, so I have to get creative. I get up at 4:15 2 or 3 days a week and do one of the various Sufferfest videos. They are great- 45-85 minutes of ass kicking. Then 1, sometimes 2 hard rides on the weekend, length varies. I have used this method for years for various events (even Leadville 100) and the interval sessions definitely help. Intensity will substitute for time, but not totally.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
If it were up to my wife I wouldn't ride at all, so I have to get creative. I get up at 4:15 2 or 3 days a week and do one of the various Sufferfest videos. They are great- 45-85 minutes of ass kicking. Then 1, sometimes 2 hard rides on the weekend, length varies. I have used this method for years for various events (even Leadville 100) and the interval sessions definitely help. Intensity will substitute for time, but not totally.
Wow! We have a lot in common. Although, not Leadville. I do the same. Although this time of year I can get on the bike by 5 or a little before and do some outdoor rides. For about an hour with some nice steep hills. But otherwise, it is 4:15 with Sufferfest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.