Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about cycling 100 miles for a challenge to raise money for a couple of charities close to my heart, what would be some decent training methods anyone could suggest apart from interval training in the build up? What would be a realistic/steady time i should be aiming for to complete this challenge in?

·
Registered
368 Posts
There's no way anyone on the internet can tell you how long it should take you. Divide 100 miles by your average speed, and there's a good number.

Also, it's just 100 miles. Sounds scary, but if you've ridden 30, you can do 50, and once you've done 50, you'll find 100 is the same thing. Just get a few longer rides in so you know the trouble spots regarding bike fit, and components. You may ride your bike 15 miles at a time, and never notice the chafing, hot spots, or back pain you might feel after 50 miles. Get that crap ironed out, and then just ride, and pay attention to what your body needs (food, water, etc).

·
wrm
72 Posts
My wife once asked me how she should pace herself for riding 100 miles. I replied with that there are two schools of thought.

1) Slow steady and get the job done

2) Ride fast get it over with and save the wear and tear on your rear end

Which one applies depends on how much you ride. Assuming an average recreational cyclist I think it's safe to assume that the legs are up to the task. Which leaves your rear end. If it's not used to 4+ hours sitting on the saddle you might get rather sore. Obviously if you're used to three hour rides, riding 4.5 isn't a huge stretch.

YMMV

Bill

·
All or Nothing Baby!!!
525 Posts
See if there are some long weekend group rides in your area (3 or more hours), these are a good starting point, that will usually get you in the 50-60 mile range. Do one of these, then maybe the next week add on an extra thirty minutes, then maybe the following week add on an hour, then add an hour the next week, that would be 70-80 miles, so 100 miles is right around the corner. Just think of it this way: you build up slowly to your goal of 100 miles, but don't forget to rest while you're building. Volume is the key here, but dont' over do it. If you have time to ride only three or four days a week, don't try to force five or six days in there, you'll be too stressed and tired. Just ride QUALITY rides when you have time to ride. So if you're training to ride long distance, then do two or three long distance rides per week, three hours or more.

just my 2c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.