Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Nashbar the other day and found a touring frame for only $100. The only thing is, it is aluminum. Which seems odd for a touring frame, I would prefer steel to dampen the ride. They also have a CX frame for $130 that offers rack and fender mounts, but the chain stays aren't as long. The fork they sell to match the frame is steel. Before I completely write off the idea of touring on aluminum, I wanted to get some of your thoughts. I would describe myself as resilient as I am a ski bum in Breckenridge, CO and spend almost everyday outside, whether it is snowboarding or on my road or mountain bike.

I have enough parts in the spare parts bin to build this frame up with minimal costs. The frame and fork combo would take me anywhere between $135 - $180 (depending on the combination of the CX or touring frame plus two forks I'm looking at).

I also have a Fuji Dynamic 10 from the mid 70s (27 inch rims, not 700 that current road bikes use) that I could throw a triple on and I love the ride of that gold and rusty beauty. I already use it to commute to class and work on a regular basis.

My road bike is a CAAD8 from 06 so I'm familiar with the feel of aluminum.

Anybody ride the TransAm on aluminum or should I just scrap that idea and ride the Fuji or build up a steel touring frame?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I built my commuter/rain bike using that frame, and with 32s on it (there's room for bigger tires + fenders), ride over all kinds of bad roads in relative comfort.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks saf-t, I was worried about comfort but if it has good geometry plus the longer chain stays, it could really dampen some of that road chatter. Do you have the touring frame or the CX frame?

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
I was on Nashbar the other day and found a touring frame for only $100. The only thing is, it is aluminum. Which seems odd for a touring frame, I would prefer steel to dampen the ride.
The ride is NOT determined by the frame materials. Tube diameter, shape, wall thickness are far more important and at least as important is overall geometry. And that is not considering the impact of tires and wheels. Material is the last thing on the list when deciding ride comfort.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very valid point. Maybe that's what I needed to hear to sway my decision. Thinking that won't be a bad buy then. It's in my nature to find something used first, but if it comes to crunch time and I haven't found something yet, I'll pull the trigger on one of those frames.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lets just say I've never won a race I've been in, so don't really foresee myself breaking any records on this. More of something to do in-between my winter job/school and when my summer job starts. I'll have a solid 45 days to just pedal around and enjoy myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.