Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a road bike. Had a detailed, professional fit done. They ran the comparator and found a performance Trek Madone is a perfect fit. Tried a (Performance Fit) Madone today with nearly same setup and found I was putting a lot of pressure on hands. I was being careful with posture and trying to use my core (very weak) but did not seem to help.

Then I hear this from two different fitters the following:
1. Elbows stiff, arms form 90 deg angle with torso. (This is the fitter I used)
2. Elbows bent, lightly rest hands, rely more on posture and core. don't necessarily need to have back totally flat.

So who is right ?

So is this normal to have the pressure on hands ? How does one alleviate it ?

Thanks,
Confused.

· Registered
5,480 Posts
If I'm not taking things out of context, neither fitter is contradicting the other..more of complimenting each other.

I'm running with decent amount of drop, and my hands are relatively relaxed. It's a matter of distributing your weight (not hunching or "shrugging") and having a decent core+back to support yourself. I went from hybrid to road bike, and didn't have the pressure tendency based on such matters, though. Kept a firm grip in early ride because the road bike felt significantly more twitchy. So the adaptation may also come naturally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.