Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the use of postal service for transporting of frameset safer than checking in the frameset in cardboard boxes?

Assuming the frameset are packed with heavy padding and bubblewrap in cardboard boxes for both scenario?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
From where to where?

"Checking in" seems to infer you're flying somewhere. I find that it the choice you're asking about is checking in the frame with the airline or shipping by a carrier, that I would check the frame in with the airline, particularly if you're traveling internationally. The caveat would be what airline and what are their charges?

Not knowing where you're traveling from and to, makes it difficult to tell you what the actual options are for carriers and their cost.

yongkun said:
Is the use of postal service for transporting of frameset safer than checking in the frameset in cardboard boxes?

Assuming the frameset are packed with heavy padding and bubblewrap in cardboard boxes for both scenario?

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
If you mail your bike you may encounter problems with Customs (your bike can be held), and it can be a mess to get it. It depends on the countries involved...

I think it's better to have the bike on the flight with you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Australia to Singapore. Yeap i will be bringing back my bike packed in a bike case and another bicycle frame of mine. So wondering whether to post or check in.

However as the frame is rather expensive, i will like to consult which is a better option.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yongkun said:
.......However as the frame is rather expensive, i will like to consult which is a better option.
You really need to find out if the airline has any damage coverage. When I flew with my bike, I had to sign a release saying the airline would not be liable for damage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My previous trip oversea ended up with the buckle at my bikecase missing. can vision the impact it had even though i listed it as fragile. I know travel insurance do cover losses during the flight, but it is too troublesome for me as i guess this is the only time i am flying with a bike and another boxed up frame.

on the other hand does the postal service handle the parcel better than those baggage handler?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Which airline?

I live in Sing and travel frequently to Australia. If you're on Sing Air, check their website. Sing Air has taken my bikes in a corrugated bike box, front wheel off and seatpost removed, for no charge on international routes to Sing. This was flying economy. I'm going to the States next month and getting my C40 out of storage, again in a corrugated bike box, and bringing it back to Sing, again for no charge.

Note, there is no import duty, zero, on any bike, component, etc. If it's new, they might try to charge you GST but I would put that as being highly unlikely.

Given that you're taking a bike in a bike case and a frame, they will probably charge you for the frame in a box but check their site which is pretty complete as it relates to charges.

If it's Quantas or another carrier, check their websites.

I wouldn't bother posting. Australia Post is punitive with both their pricing and their size restriction on the boxes. Just get a good bike box and pack it properly. Cut corrugated and form triangles with the length = box width. That will be strong enough to keep if from getting crushed down. Losing your strap was probably not from impact but it getting snagged on the conveyor or when coming on or off the trolley.

yongkun said:
Australia to Singapore. Yeap i will be bringing back my bike packed in a bike case and another bicycle frame of mine. So wondering whether to post or check in.

However as the frame is rather expensive, i will like to consult which is a better option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know how to pack a bike, i am a Singaporean based in australia thats why i bring my bike to the city that i will be staying or based in..

Infact i have already packed my bike in a hard case problem is that i got an additional frame to bring along. and i will not want to bring two bike hardcase oversea with my personnal luggage.

So i was wondering if it is a better ideal to use postal service, just checking which option is "safer" for the frame in a well packed bubblewrapped cardboard boxes. Anyway i will be taking emirates to Singapore.

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I really suggest you bite the bullet and take both frames on the plane with you. The extra expense and immediate hassle of having to deal with two frames in the airport and the likely cost of extra luggage will be a small price to pay. When shipping a frame to yourself will likely incur import duties, taxes, or even be held in some customs warehouse for who knows how long.

I frequently ship worldwide and also have done a fair bit of international travel. The best option always turned out to be bringing that extra box with me if I could instead of shipping it ahead. I never ran into customs problems or had to pay extra beyond just my additional baggage.

The bonus that comes with bringing the frame with you on the plane is that if customs has any issues you can deal with someone right then and there. You will likely get any problems taken care of while at the airport whereas if you ship it you might be dealing with someone on the telephone and/or through email. Customs agents will be much more sympathetic to any problems if they are dealing face to face and issues can be solved much quicker if you can come across as a nice guy standing right in front of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts