Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on a floor pump to travel with. Smaller is better in my mind. This will hang out in the condo when not in use not go with me on the bike. Two bikes are going on vacation with me but it is not a true cycling vacation so space is at a premium with all the other non-cycling clothes/gear. Trying to keep suitcase fees to a minimum

Right now I am eyeing up either a LEZYNE MICRO FLOOR DRIVE or one of the Lezyne Travel Floor Drive models.

Micro floor drive wins for size but wondering if the handle is too small. Travel Floor Drive looks like it can do it all, maybe replace home pump. I like the gauge better on the Travel Drive for obvious reasons. I've not seen either in person. Anyone with experience on either?

What you think and what else to consider?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far guys.

Pittcanna. To be clear I am flying. Two travelers and two bikes.

Also while that might be how Lezyne markets the pump many have said it is too large/not practical to be on the bike with you but makes a fantastic travel pump. Reviewed: Lezyne's Micro Floor Drive is a traveller's dream - VeloNews.com

J.R. That is on my short list along with the steel version. Thanks for the personal experience.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Got one of the Lezyne Micro Floor Drives for a trip. Not a fan. Too fiddly. Lost a lot of pressure getting the chuck off. I really like the Specialized Compak. It's a proper floor pump with a built-in pressure gauge. Comes apart and pack in a compact carrying case. Definitely bigger than the Lezyne, but again, a proper pump. No compromises.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Got one of the Lezyne Micro Floor Drives for a trip. Not a fan. Too fiddly. Lost a lot of pressure getting the chuck off. I really like the Specialized Compak. It's a proper floor pump with a built-in pressure gauge. Comes apart and pack in a compact carrying case. Definitely bigger than the Lezyne, but again, a proper pump. No compromises.
This^ is what I meant by "It has the screw on/off chuck which some people don't like." I really like the chuck for it's exactness but have had several people trying to use it and having problems with getting it on and off.

Also, the cnc travel drive is a bit larger then I would recommend for packing in a suitcase.

hth

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Got one of the Lezyne Micro Floor Drives for a trip. Not a fan...
+1. I'm OK with the chuck, but the gauge is pretty bad as it's got like 20 psi stiction. A separate gauge, like the SKS digital or an Accugage would be much better than any of those linear gauges like on the Lezyne, Morph and other mini pumps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have the Lezyne steel Travel floor drive pump and it's been a great pump. My only real complaints are small gauge and short hose. The nozzle is not to bad but I may swap it out for the new abs2 setup. I have not flown with it but it does pack away easily when I drive to a ride start point. It could probably be wrapped in bubble wrap and stuffed in a bike carrier. I hope to go ride Haleakka in a couple years so this will be the pump I take.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I picked up a Specialized Compak. Seems to fit the bill nicely. Can't wait for the two bikes to show up and get riding. I did not even have the Compak on my radar.

Thanks again!

·
Cycling Addict
5,182 Posts
Surprisingly this one (link below) functions really well as a floor pump but is small enough to carry on the bike if you so desire. I think it's perfect for travel where space matters.

Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - Road Morph? G
I have to disagree with the statement that the Road Morph G "functions really well as a floor pump". I am not a particularly tall person but this thing requires me to squat or bend over very uncomfortably in order to use it as a floor pump. About the only person who could use it comfortably in that manner IMO is a pre-adolescent hobbit. For anyone else it is just too short.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have to disagree with the statement that the Road Morph G "functions really well as a floor pump". I am not a particularly tall person but this thing requires me to squat or bend over very uncomfortably in order to use it as a floor pump. About the only person who could use it comfortably in that manner IMO is a pre-adolescent hobbit. For anyone else it is just too short.
I have to disagree with you.

I have been using the road Morph for over 10 years. I keep it in my Ritchey travel case for whenever I go out of town. OK, you have to bend over to pump up your tire. But don't you have to bend over to ride your bike? It pumps up a completely flat tire fairly quickly.

·
Cycling Addict
5,182 Posts
I have to disagree with you.

I have been using the road Morph for over 10 years. I keep it in my Ritchey travel case for whenever I go out of town. OK, you have to bend over to pump up your tire. But don't you have to bend over to ride your bike? It pumps up a completely flat tire fairly quickly.
I don't have to bend over anywhere near that far to ride any of my bikes. Using that pump was physically painful for me. It's nice that you like it, but I felt that there are some folks out there who might benefit from a different point of view.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
+1. I'm OK with the chuck, but the gauge is pretty bad as it's got like 20 psi stiction. A separate gauge, like the SKS digital or an Accugage would be much better than any of those linear gauges like on the Lezyne, Morph and other mini pumps.
Of the 3 Lezyne pumps I have used, the gauges were off and crappy too. You pay some good cash for their design and they ruin it with a $0.24 gauge:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.