Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I had a 3 hour flight from Phila to Minneapolis. The plane was packed.

My seat was on the aisle, with the guy in the window being 325 lbs packed into his 5 ft 9 inch frame. This guy was so big, he couldn't sit in the seat with the armrest down.

I asked him to put the armrest down so I could sit in the seat I paid for. He couldn't.

I swear that people like this should have to pay for two seats.

Of course, the airline couldn't so anything about this.

Len

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Len J said:
Last night I had a 3 hour flight from Phila to Minneapolis. The plane was packed.

My seat was on the aisle, with the guy in the window being 325 lbs packed into his 5 ft 9 inch frame. This guy was so big, he couldn't sit in the seat with the armrest down.

I asked him to put the armrest down so I could sit in the seat I paid for. He couldn't.

Len
Well, on the bright side, at least you had the aisle. That beats being pressed up against the wall any day.

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
on the way back from south carolina my dad had to sit next to someone like that. 300+, leaking over his seat, sweating profusely, smelling like a jock strap, and wearing a star wars t shirt. to top it off the guy was scared out of his mind about flying and kept grabbing my dad any time there was the slightest bit of turbulance. i found it funny for a couple minutes but after that started feeling bad for the situation my dad got stuck with.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Len J said:

Len
Wait till the ban on cell phones in planes is lifted. You'll want the fat guy back.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Yep

Len J said:

Len

I can sympathize, I fly a fair amount, and I have plenty of horror stories, this last weekend was a good one....I had to fly to Phoenix for a conference, I was only there a day, but the travel sucked. I was supposed to leave Friday am at 0525 with a quick layover in Minneapolis then on a plane to Phoenix at 7am getting there by 920.....mind you, I had meetings at 11am. Well, they outright cancel the 0525 flight, and the next one will not be until after 9am, so they tell me that they can get me onto the next flight to Phoenix which leaves Minneapolis at 0900 getting into Phoenix at 1130. The only catch is, I have to drive to Minneapolis, which is an hour and a half away. SO, I jump in the car race up to Minneapolis, go through security, AGAIN.....and get onto my plane, I show up late of course, because, by the time I land, get my rental car and drive to the campus, it's 1230.

On the way back, it was even better, I was supposed to leave at 350pm out of Phoenix, landing in Minneapolis at 802pm. Well they ushered us quickly onto the plane, and then we sat for over 2.5 hours, you'll never guess why.......THEY HAD NO ONE TO LOAD THE FRIGGIN PLANE....the luggage sat out on the runway uncovered in a heavy rainstorm for 2.5 hours, cause there were only 3 guys working ALL of the planes for Northwest......Luckily, I almost NEVER check luggage, It sucked......but the wine was good at least. Then the stewardess comes and asks if I wanted to BUY a snack...I told her what she could do with that proposition....I ended up landing in Minneapolis at 1050pm ,and then had an hour and half drive home....

One of our friends is a ticket agent for Northwest, and she is getting me a partial refund on my ticket. I reminded her that I fly American almost always because of things like this...

Fat passengers bug me though too...

Gotta fly to Chicago next week, hope it doesn't happen to me again.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
I had a similar horror flight from Ca. to Baltimore on a redeye. A humongous woman was in the middle seat and I had the window. I woke up about 430 am because she was leaning on me sleeping with her sweat moistening my skin.

The only thing worse is a kid screaming nonstop or a puker.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
charge him

Len J said:

Len
I think that at a minimum you should be allowed to require him to pay for that portion of your seat he was using. Or, ask him to briefly stand up. Then put the armrest down. Now tell him to sit. Maybe the airline owes you a refund? You paid for a full seat. It should be their responsibility to rectify or avoid this. It's simple. You require more than one seat, you pay for it. They have "overweight" luggage charges, so why not "overwide" seat charges?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Len J said:

Len
Only thing worse than that is sitting next to a mother with a baby that just crapped its pants and the seatbelt sign is on so they can't get up to change them.

// Recent flight to Cancun on "Ted" was a good experience. They actually have 7" more room in front of the seats than the usual economy seats. Even if some jackass puts the seat all the way back I still had plenty of legroom.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Maybe they should go by ground transportation

I have had my fair share of weighty plane neighbors. One of the many reasons that I like Southwest is that since there are no assigned seats, if the plane is crowded I usually can pick a seat next to a smaller person rather than a large one. Here's my best large passenger story:

When my girls were about 2 and 5 (I know that my youngest had just turned 2 because I had to pay for a seat for her), my wife, the girls and I were flying from Chicago to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on a very small plane (16 or 20 seats). Three very large passengers got on the plane (they were related). After the flight attendant unsuccessfully tried to split us from the girls so that the plane could be balanced, the pilot then announced that some luggage would have to be left behind and be flown up the next day because the plane was overweight. We needed all of our luggage for the girls (things like a car seat) and our vacation when we arrived. I started to become agitated. I told the flight attendant that we had purchased 4 tickets and the combined weight of the four of us plus our luggage probably was less than each of the three overweight passengers and I expected that all of our luggage would stay on the plane. The flight attendant made some testy response (she did not say it, but the implication was be quiet or we will call the authorities). The large passengers were glaring at me. In any event, all's well that ends well. All of our luggage stayed on the plane and we did not crash from having too much weight on the plane. But, that also was the last time that took that airline when I had a choice.

·
Martini time?
206 Posts
I was lucky enough to be seated in the very last row on the aisle on a flight from Dulles to SFO. For the whole flight, while people hung out in the aisle waiting to use the bathroom, they were standing right next to me. I never realized how much it sucks to have your head at crotch-level to strangers for 6 hrs.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Just got home from the airport after a 5.5 hour flight from San Diego to Honolulu. The flight included a movie and a meal. Even though the flight crew requested that people pull their window shades so that everyone could see the movie, four people in the plane refused to lower their shades because they wanted to read but not use the overhead light. You are flying to frickin Hawaii!!! Why be an asshat? There was a big guy that took up two seats but the plane wasn't full. My six year old was a model traveler. It helps that he has a personal DVD player with games. And headphones.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
Once I was flying to Japan in an United flight coach seat. A 250lb-ish 50 something gentleman had the window seat, I had the isle seat and there was this small skinny dude sitting in the middle seat. I'm not big but not small either and have fairly large upper body. The guy in the window seat was alternating between pounding some serious amount of whiskey and totally passed out leaning all over... the guy in the middle seat as he was sandwiched inbetween...This guy could hardly move... I mean this was 12 hour flight. I felt rather bad for him but he seemed to deal with it okay...with he's head down reading and dosing....

I think this is the way to fly though....

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Only thing worse than that is sitting next to a mother with a baby that just crapped its pants and the seatbelt sign is on so they can't get up to change them.

// Recent flight to Cancun on "Ted" was a good experience. They actually have 7" more room in front of the seats than the usual economy seats. Even if some jackass puts the seat all the way back I still had plenty of legroom.
try having said baby vomiting over itself. Then the parents realises they don't have any spare cloth for the kid. Yes it did happen. Yes I was very very very close to become headline news on fox.

·
building my engine
163 Posts
twrecks said:
I was lucky enough to be seated in the very last row on the aisle on a flight from Dulles to SFO. For the whole flight, while people hung out in the aisle waiting to use the bathroom, they were standing right next to me. I never realized how much it sucks to have your head at crotch-level to strangers for 6 hrs.
LMAO!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts