Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going away with my bike for a few weeks. got everything packed and realized i have a massive pump i dont want to take. is there a good travel pump or just fill up at a gas station or hit it with co2 when needed. also whats the best way to wash my cloths in a sink at a hotel?

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
stickystuff said:
going away with my bike for a few weeks. got everything packed and realized i have a massive pump i dont want to take. is there a good travel pump or just fill up at a gas station or hit it with co2 when needed. also whats the best way to wash my cloths in a sink at a hotel?
Second the recommendation for Zefal or Blackburn. I have a Zefal hpX that's at least 15 years old, been used regularly, and it's still like new. Can't remember the model of my Blackburn (bought it because the Zefal was too short for the top tube on my 64cm Rambouillet), but it's equally good, maybe a little easier to use.
If it's going to be your only source of air on the trip, I'd get a full-sized "frame fit" pump, not a mini. I hate CO2 carts--wasteful, unreliable, expensive and only pump my big tires up to about 45 psi.
As for the clothes, go to a Laundromat. For three or four bucks you can wash and dry an armload. If you're determined to sinkwash stuff, take things that will dry quickly, synthetics like poly or nylon. Wash and rinse in the shower or sink (shampoo works fine, and rinses out easier than bar soap), then spread a motel towel on the floor, lay the stuff flat on it, roll it up and walk on it. That gets out a lot of the water and the stuff will dry in a few hours, depending on weather and humidity. Forget jeans and things like that--they take 12 hours or more to dry in an air-cond motel room.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've wanted to check out the Crank Bros Power Pump, a mini pump with a gauge and can change from high volume to high pressure pumping.

$34 for the alloy version

There is also a $19 plastic version of the same pump but it doesn't have the gauge, it's also on REI's website.

As for clothes, take them in the shower with you, and wash with soap. You can always use the hair dryer to speed things up if you need to, or leave the bathroom fan on during the night.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I have the plastic pump, and I would sooner use my lungs to inflate. I like how it fits in my pocket-- but that is all it has going for it. My road morph has a gauge, and is almost as fast as using CO2.

threesportsinone said:
I've wanted to check out the Crank Bros Power Pump, a mini pump with a gauge and can change from high volume to high pressure pumping.

$34 for the alloy version

There is also a $19 plastic version of the same pump but it doesn't have the gauge, it's also on REI's website.

As for clothes, take them in the shower with you, and wash with soap. You can always use the hair dryer to speed things up if you need to, or leave the bathroom fan on during the night.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
filtersweep said:
I have the plastic pump, and I would sooner use my lungs to inflate. I like how it fits in my pocket-- but that is all it has going for it. My road morph has a gauge, and is almost as fast as using CO2.
Yeah, I like my road morph too. Elaborate on why you dislike the Crank Bros, slow? cool theory, bad design?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I wash a lot of clothes in hotel rooms. It allows me to go on three-week trips with just two sets of clothes. In fact, I got stopped by Israeli airport security once because they didn't believe that I had been in the country for three weeks and only had one small suitcase.

If you only have two pairs of socks to wash, the sink works fine. More than that is probably better washed in the bathtub. The stuff almost always dries in the 32 hours between when I wash it and when I need to put it on again. The other tips given above are all good.

DON'T TRY TO FLY WITH CO2!! Not in your carry on and not in your checked!

You should take a frame or mini pump with you to deal with flats. That should get you enough air to get to a bike shop and use their pump to get up to full pressure. In fact, you can fly with your tires mostly inflated, probably at least 80PSI which will allow you to ride to the bike shop. In fact, it provides better protection for your rims to fly with the tires mostly inflated.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
+ another one for the Topeak Road Morph with the gauge. It's absolutely the next best thing to a floor pump that I've ever found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.