Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traveling in Southern AZ this past summer...

I'd thought I'd share some of my favorite photos from a cycling tour over the summer in the SW US.

I had ridden up in the hills along the border with Mexico and watched a evening storm cross the valley. It took quite a bit of patience and luck to get these shots.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Grand Canyon National Park

When I was leaving GCNP I came across this guy just hanging out on the side of the road. I opted not to get to close though - telephoto lense. You would be surprised how many people were walking up to this guy trying to get the photo of a life time.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inside Grand Canyon National Park

Though it was crowded during the summer - the riding and the views were great.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And for a change of pace...I went to the Titan Missile Museum in Southern AZ. The only one its kind in the US. The Titan Missile fired a thermonuclear warhead (or multiple warheads). They were deactivated, but surviving missiliers petioned the Air Force to create display of this site. You could take tours of the underground facility. Not a job I would have sought out.

This photo was looking down into the silo from above ground.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That is an amazing variety of scenes in one trip.

Chase15.5 said:
And for a change of pace...I went to the Titan Missile Museum in Southern AZ. The only one its kind in the US. The Titan Missile fired a thermonuclear warhead (or multiple warheads). They were deactivated, but surviving missiliers petioned the Air Force to create display of this site. You could take tours of the underground facility. Not a job I would have sought out.

This photo was looking down into the silo from above ground.
I like them all, wouldn't mind seeing more.....

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - your photo's around DC inspired me to post a few from my trip. I'll post a few more soon. I actually live and commute in DC myself now and have riden by most of the places you've shot.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I had a pleasant ride in SE AZ over Christmas...

Sierra Vista - Bisbee - Tombstone - Sierra Vista

Tombstone was kind of corny, but at least it didn't cost anything.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Went to Tombstone as well

robwh9 said:
Sierra Vista - Bisbee - Tombstone - Sierra Vista

Tombstone was kind of corny, but at least it didn't cost anything.
Yeah I went by Tombstone as well - It was very "touristy" with several "shoot-outs" and skits by actors. I wanted to check out the Tombstone Cemetary - but they charged too much.

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more from the trip...

The first picture is heading down from Colorado toward Moab, UT. The road follows the Colorado River.

The 2nd picture is called Montezuma's Castle. The people who lived here built their homes in the side of the mountain. The dwellings were only big enough for about 30 peeple.

The 3rd is a tarantula spider that are quite common in the southern western deserts of the US. This guy was just crossing the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts