Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting LA from the East Coast in a few weeks and would like to do a little riding out there. Is it vastly complicated to fly with a bike? Is it better to just rent something out there? I will only be there for a weekend.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
It's a little complicated (you have to get a box, partially disassemble the bike to pack it, and then of course re-assemble at the other end, plus deal with the big box), and can be a lot costly, since most (all now?) airlines charge extra baggage fees for the big box. Used to be commonly $75 each way; may be more now. It can be easier to rent, if you can find a suitable shop.

Maybe post something in the regional forum here, and somebody can direct you to a shop with suitable rentals. If you do the whole road bike thing, with shoes, clipless pedals, a saddle you've gotten used to, it's good to bring those things with you (plus helmet and clothing, of course).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I don't know what the airlines charge. I have a hard case, so I usually ship mine ahead. I send it UPS to the address of the motel in which I'll be staying. I call the motel & tell them to expect it. Never had a problem doing it that way. I have taken it with me on flights, and it's a real PITA having to wait for it to be unloaded, wheeling it through the airport, looking for a rental car big enough to carry it, etc., etc.

·
Darling of The Lounge
5,335 Posts
Amen!

Mr. Versatile said:
I don't know what the airlines charge. I have a hard case, so I usually ship mine ahead. I send it UPS to the address of the motel in which I'll be staying. I call the motel & tell them to expect it. Never had a problem doing it that way. I have taken it with me on flights, and it's a real PITA having to wait for it to be unloaded, wheeling it through the airport, looking for a rental car big enough to carry it, etc., etc.
Sending your bike ahead via UPS or FedEx is the way to go! Shipped mine from California to New Mexico and back last year in my Trico Sportcase without a problem :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
Sending your bike ahead via UPS or FedEx is the way to go! Shipped mine from California to New Mexico and back last year in my Trico Sportcase without a problem :thumbsup:
That can work, but I think it costs a bundle for long distances. The OP is going coast to coast, for a weekend only -- not really practical.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
True enough

John Nelson said:
I like the advice to rent if you can--it is simpler and cheaper. However, I have discovered that in many places, you cannot find anywhere that rents road bikes.
Though I'm sure he could find a place in LA. And even in small places, you can call up a bike shop, even if they don't advertise rentals, and somebody might have an extra bike they'll rent out for the day. I've seen it done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the food for thought, everyone. In this case, I'm going to look into renting and maybe look for a group ride or two. In the future on longer trips though I'll try the FedEx thing.

W

·
Registered
596 Posts
Plus then you get to try something new

I know we all love our own equipment, but sometimes its fun to try something new. I've rented mountain bikes and skis on occasions when I couldn't bring my own, and it is nice to spend a little time on something different (as long as you can find somewhere that rents good stuff). Helps you find out more about what you like/don't like for your next bike/skis/ect.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
If you travel often one option would be a take-apart frame like a ritchey breakaway or dahon hammerhead. the dahon obviously fits in smaller luggage. There's a place that was selling them online with 9 speed 105 or ultegra for 6 or 7 hundred dollars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.