Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be travelling a little with my bicycle inside the car. I've been looking at these skewers to protect the rear triangle and fork. Are there other brand names that I should consider? Is there anything similar on the market? What do you suggest I use or do?
Thanks, Wayne

BTL-49 forkgrip
FEATURES

■ Quick release axle system.
■ Protects the front fork when the wheel is removed.
■ With disc brake pad adapter. Keeps the brake pads in place when the disc is removed.
■ Wide: 110 mm.

BTL-50 chaingrip
FEATURES

■ Quick-release axle system.
■ Keeps the chain under tension when the wheel is removed.
■ Easy transportation and cleaning.
■ 2 versions: 135 mm MTB, 130 mm road bikes.
■ 135 mm version with disc brake pad adapter. Keeps the brake pads in place when the disc is removed.

http://www.bbbparts.com/tools_forkgrip-btl49.php
http://www.bbbparts.com/tools_chaingrip-btl50.php

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I packed my bike for my trip last year/this year and they bike shop used the 'fork inserts' that are plastics (you know, the kinds that come with a new bike) for the front and rear dropouts.

They worked more than fine for mine and they're free at that too.

I'd imagine they should serve your purpose Wayne. Check with your LBS to see if they have some spares (they usually would).

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
yup, plastic things that come w/ new bikes... free from lbs. just be sure to jam 'em in all the way otherwise they might fall out

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
FatTireFred said:
yup, plastic things that come w/ new bikes... free from lbs. just be sure to jam 'em in all the way otherwise they might fall out
They're pretty hard to pull out/fall out just on their own as well if you slot em in properly.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Why?

wayneanneli said:
I'll be travelling a little with my bicycle inside the car. I've been looking at these skewers to protect the rear triangle and fork. Are there other brand names that I should consider? Is there anything similar on the market? What do you suggest I use or do?
It's not obvious why you would need frame protection when transporting your bike in the car. Those frame/fork protectors are to prevent serious shipping damage from the box being dropped a fair distance or crushed under the weight of other cargo. Are these things that are likely to happen in your car?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
It's not obvious why you would need frame protection when transporting your bike in the car. Those frame/fork protectors are to prevent serious shipping damage from the box being dropped a fair distance or crushed under the weight of other cargo. Are these things that are likely to happen in your car?
If he drives like a madman!

And, he has 3 kids so.... :D :D

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry Irons said:
Well, as Uzzie wrote, I do have three kids....
Seriously, though, I considered them because there might be a second bicycle on top of mine, so bicyle-blanket-bicycle. I probably won't need them, but was interested to see what others were doing. I already have the black plastic inserts for the fork and rear triangle.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Well, as Uzzie wrote, I do have three kids....
Seriously, though, I considered them because there might be a second bicycle on top of mine, so bicyle-blanket-bicycle. I probably won't need them, but was interested to see what others were doing. I already have the black plastic inserts for the fork and rear triangle.
I see you've been encouraging some 'mashing' with regards to the kids and things eh? :D

Well, they'd grow into strong ones I'm sure!!

The plastic inserts should work more than fine and save you money Wayne. You could even get new bar tape or a new tool etc instead with that $ saved I suppose. Or, get the kids a nice treat :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
You could also just cut you two pieces of say 1/2" PVC to proper length and use your skewers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts