Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like my trip to Tacoma will be happening. I'll be there from probably the 22-27 of this month on business. I'd like to take my camera but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with taking it along and having to leave it either in the car or in the room since I'll probably be in meetings or driving/riding a company test vehicle during the day. The times I've asked about a safe the hotel says it isn't large enough for my camera. I'm going to be travelling with at least 2 laptops and my carryon so I might have to check baggage as well. I'm just worried about my DSLR getting ripped off from the car or room. I'd take a P&S but I don't have a decent one any more. I'm leaning towards just leaving it at home. I probably won't have much time for shooting anyway. What say ye frequent travellers? TerryB, Mr. Hickey????

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I have a camera backpack that holds a laptop. Works well.

I'd never check a camera.

Len

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not planning on checking the camera but having it along may mean I need to check my clothing. I have two laptops so even with a cam/laptop pack I probably wouldn't have room for two laptops.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
VaughnA said:
I'm not planning on checking the camera but having it along may mean I need to check my clothing. I have two laptops so even with a cam/laptop pack I probably wouldn't have room for two laptops.
Why do you need 2 laptops?

Based on what you describe, I'd get a carry on-roller camera bag and a messenger bag. Carry the camera in the roller bag, the laptops in the messanger bag & you are good to go.

When you are on job, switch things around so you can carry the camera along with whatever you nedd.

Len

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
I have a Lowepro Backpack that has enough room for my D90 and 3 lenses in the bottom. The back main pocket holds my Netbook and a 15.7" laptop, from pocket carries power supplies for Laptop and net book as well memory cards and accessories. I have traveled with this bag many times now and love it.

This is the latest version of my bag

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Len J said:
Why do you need 2 laptops?

Len
One is setup for working with our hardware and one for software development and my personal stuff.

I don't want to have to buy new bags, I already have 3 different ones. I'm thinking I might just skip the slr and by a cheap P&S which would be cheaper than a good bag.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
VaughnA said:
One is setup for working with our hardware and one for software development and my personal stuff.

I don't want to have to buy new bags, I already have 3 different ones. I'm thinking I might just skip the slr and by a cheap P&S which would be cheaper than a good bag.
I'm in the market for a pocket camera...I'm hoping something comes out that is a larger (than P&S) sensor, with a reasonable zoom lens.

Len

·
Registered
833 Posts
A friend of ours never checks his camera equipment (in pelican case) but on one flight (smallish plane), they told him he had to check it at the gate or they wouldn't let him on. Upon retrieving his luggage, his case was there but he got flagged for inspection at customs. When they opened the case, he saw that his cameras had been replaced with bags of sugar (for weight we suppose).

So make sure you are well within the carry-on allowance.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Can't you install the software development stuff on the "hardware" laptop and then just bring that?

When I need to leave nice stuff in a hotel room I just put the do not disturb sign up and leave the TV on.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Can't you install the software development stuff on the "hardware" laptop and then just bring that?

When I need to leave nice stuff in a hotel room I just put the do not disturb sign up and leave the TV on.
I can't see this not working. Ive never really worried about leaving my cameras in a car or hotel room. This time of the year you can probably lock the camera in the trunk of the car. Usually what I do is wrap the camera in a shirt and put it on the floor in the back of the car.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Not as easy as it sounds, licensed to MAC of laptop etc. And it would take a week for our IT dept to get anything done as they control everything on laptops. The second laptop is also my personal one and doesn't have the extra junk required by IT so it actually works..

DrRoebuck said:
That's what I did in Atlanta, I'm thinking that might be the trick. If I've got to carry the laptops & camera on the plane and check my clothes that will be ok. I'm as much worried about leaving it behind. It probably won't be easy to drag the camera along during most of the days. I really need to think about the camera thing, I thought I'd have a little time in Atlanta, I had zero. It may be the same in Tacoma, if so, no need to worry about it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
This is why I love the 24-70. On FF it's a perfect walkaround lens so when push comes to shove if I need to travel light I can just take that and leave the other lenses at home.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
This is why I love the 24-70. On FF it's a perfect walkaround lens so when push comes to shove if I need to travel light I can just take that and leave the other lenses at home.
The 24-70 on a d700 is hardly traveling light. :blush2: (other than in the relative sense.)

Len

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Len J said:
The 24-70 on a d700 is hardly traveling light. :blush2: (other than in the relative sense.)

Len
Ha. By "light" I guess I meant physical size, meaning one body, one lens.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The K-x with my 28MF lens isn't much bigger than a large P&S. I'm also considering taking my K1000, a 28 or a 50 and a roll of film. If it's taken I've lost a camera and lens that was given to me..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts