Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading up to traverse city for the fourth of July weekend and I'm wondering if anyone can reccomend some routes for good road rides. We'll be staying on the Old Mission Peninsula there north of town. I've already explored a lot of the roads out on the Peninsula and I'd like to get some longer rides in anyway. Looking for 40 to 100+ miles and hills are a bonus. Any recommendations?

· Registered
117 Posts
try mapmyride.com and put in traverse city, michigan and many different rides appear. also a club in traverse city has many club rides during the week and weekend. the clubs web site is cherrycapitalcyclingclub.org and they also list rides and routes.

· Registered
48 Posts
Last summer I did a ride out on Leelanau Penninsula. I started by the base of Old Mission penn and started wandering west until I hit water, turned north and followed 22 up to Northport and brought 22 down the bayside back to TC. The TART trail is a good way to get out of TC traffic and it will get you part way up Leelanau Penn.

Ended up being 80 some miles on a Seven I was demo-ing from Brick Wheels. God, I wish I'd had the $6500 for the bike.

Be cafeful, traffic is heavy on 22 along the bay.

South of TC is miles and miles of back roads. I've camped at Interlochen State Park and just ridden right out of the campground and found some great stuff. Youker rd. has a killer hill that I'm glad I stumble across the top of and not the bottom.

Rennie School rd, east of 37, has a nasty little climb that you'll like.

Oh, and Five Mile rd, heading away from the bay, another tough climb.

Enjoy.

Delorme Atlas is the best $20 I ever spent.

T

· Registered
134 Posts
Training Rides in Traverse City

Hello,
Anyone have information regarding training rides in the Traverse City area? I will be there this weekend and for the first part of next week for a family reunion.

Thanks.

· Northern Michigan
96 Posts
Rouleur said:
Hello,
Anyone have information regarding training rides in the Traverse City area? I will be there this weekend and for the first part of next week for a family reunion.

Thanks.
Check out the link to the cherry capital website. This Sunday they have the RAT ride around torch. the metric is good and the 100 mile has some tough hills. there is always a good turn out and you should be able to find a nice group.

I am looking for a 100 mile partner/group. my local club is doing the metric as they don't want that many hills. If you want to do the ride we could meet up and hammer it out. I saw in one of your threads that you are a cat 2 racer. I am not that fast but do ride with some 3"s and 4"s and can hang with hem OK. I just wont pull as long as you. LMK?

If you can stay until next weekend there is the black bear race out of grayling. It is an unsanctioned race that draws a good crowd with some serious leg power. It is a 100 mile race and last year the lead pack finished just under 4 hours. It is a flat and fast route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.