Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am looking for an entry level road bike, both because of budget restrictions, and because I've never really ridden a road bike before and am looking to get into it for triathlon training. Right now I'm looking at the two mentioned in the title, and I was hoping I could get some recommendations here. I am equally comfortable on both bikes. I'm pretty short (~5'5"), so they're both small bikes, however the Trek is 2 cm bigger. The Trek 1.1 is last year's model (2012), and is a 50 cm all aluminum (including the fork) bike with Sora components, and Bontrager tires and seat, and is going for $600 at the local Trek store. The Scattante is obviously sold by Performance Bicycle, and is 48 cm, and has a carbon fork. It also has Sora components, and is going for $500. The guy at the Trek store recommended the slightly bigger size, and the guy at Performance recommended the smaller bike (go figure), both claiming that their choice would give me more room for adjustment. One last thing, the Trek store guy seemed more knowledgable than the guys at Performance, and actually fit me to the bike using a trainer before I test rode it. Performance kind of eyeballed it. Any help, recommendations, or experiences with these bikes will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Go to a shop that has more small bike and see what they have to say. 48-52 is a pretty big leap so I doubt you fit well on both. It sounds like they may be trying to sell what is on hand rather than selling you the best bike for you.

Fit is the #1 consideration for riding. If you are not comfortable, you will not ride. Components and frames are all good now. Some weigh more than others but quality is better than ever these days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to both repliers. I already decided on the Trek (50cm), the shop and the staff's dedication and professionalism was mostly what made the sale, although I also did feel a bit more comfortable on the Trek. The saddle is a bit uncomfortable (although not much more than the Scattante), but I figure most of that is because I'm not used to riding Road bikes, if it continues, I'll just change the saddle, I mentioned this to the store staff and they said that they would probably discount a new saddle if the current one didn't fit well. So far, I like this bike A LOT.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Replacing saddles is normal. Everyone is shaped differently and that is a critical contact point so you are wise to be open to searching for something more comfortable. Be sure to look at width, cutouts and the curvature of various saddles to see what is best for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.