Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i'm looking to make the change from a mountain bike to my first road bike and have been looking at the trek 1.2 or the trek 1000, I wanted to know if anyone else has had any experience with these bikes or bikes in a similar price range, and are there any other bikes that I should look at? :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
i tried the lemond reno and the trek and liked the specialized allez compact double the best of the three... just liked the geometry a bit more, and components/weight and all were negligible differences. just another suggestion... i think it was also one of the runners up in bicycling's best entry-level road bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Jamis Ventura Comp has also been very highly rated in the sub $800 category. You might also consider the Jamis Satellite, it has a steel frame which gives a very smooth ride. Steel is heavier, but if your looking to ride recreational, not racing...it may be worth a test ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The house brand bontrager cranks and tires on the Treks are terrible and the wheels on that particular model aren't so great either. For my money I would lean towards a Specialized or maybe a Giant (who I believe makes the 1.2). Trek doesn't build that bike themselves they source it from another manufacturer so don't just buy it cause the name, you should be able to find something better for the money.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
allthebass said:
The house brand bontrager cranks and tires on the Treks are terrible and the wheels on that particular model aren't so great either. For my money I would lean towards a Specialized or maybe a Giant (who I believe makes the 1.2). Trek doesn't build that bike themselves they source it from another manufacturer so don't just buy it cause the name, you should be able to find something better for the money.

thanks for the info i had no idea they didn't even build their own bikes, i'm not really big on brand names i just want to get as much bike as i can, i'm sort of just getting back into biking and the 1.2 was the first thing i looked at because it was recommend to me by my local bike shop but after looking around I see that they have downgraded the derailuers and shifters from sora to 2203 i've herd a few bad thing about this switch but didn't know how much it would effect me in this stage of my development as I am a total n00b

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
allthebass said:
Careful with the blanket statements. The tires, cranks, and wheels on the 1.2 are on par with the other offerings mentioned. At higher pricepoints consumers would like to see cranks and tires that aren't house brands, but again we are taling a base level bike.

I find it even more puzzling that you fault Trek for outsourcing this model. This is a common practice in the bike industry. In fact, Specialized doesn't make any of its bikes, all of them are sourced and they clearly have some very good bikes.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quick question would it be better to get a 1.2 from the local shop or a Specialized Allez of the internet, I'm somewhat scared to get online because i know nothing about sizing and if i get it at the local bike shop i get tune ups for a few years, but the 1.2 is really the only thing my lbc offers in my price range, I've heard good things about the Allez and it has better all around components, where the 1.2 has 2203 the allez has sora and the allez has a tiagra rear derailur where the 1.2 has a sora, i don't know why trek downgraded the 1.2 from the 1000 in almost all the components.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
hollandbk said:
quick question would it be better to get a 1.2 from the local shop or a Specialized Allez of the internet, I'm somewhat scared to get online because i know nothing about sizing and if i get it at the local bike shop i get tune ups for a few years, but the 1.2 is really the only thing my lbc offers in my price range, I've heard good things about the Allez and it has better all around components, where the 1.2 has 2203 the allez has sora and the allez has a tiagra rear derailur where the 1.2 has a sora, i don't know why trek downgraded the 1.2 from the 1000 in almost all the components.

Local, especially for a new buyer. Dodge the pitfalls, enjoy learning the sport. Fit is key, always easier in person. People are also easier to deal with in person so buying online is more risky. Much easier to be an a-hole over the phone than in person. Also, in a jam going local will always mean your bike dealer is just a drive (or ride) away. Small component differences are just part of the equation here.

I am not sure how many sizes Specialized makes the Allez in but compare how many sizes each of the companies make. The more sizes a bike comes in the better chance you get a great fit, but that also costs the company more money to do. In essence if Trek makes more sizes, they may be emphasizing better fit over more expensive components. Most people will generally agree fit is number one consideration when buying a new bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i just got an allez elite triple. it is a great bike and if you find it used, not much more than the Trek. You should seriously consider an allez

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dthomassps said:
i just got an allez elite triple. it is a great bike and if you find it used, not much more than the Trek. You should seriously consider an allez
the local bike shop that i really like here does not carry Specialized :( would it make sense to get the trek and upgrade to 105 parts, i'm still just a roadie n00b so will I even notice the difference between sets

·
Registered
2 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Careful with the blanket statements. The tires, cranks, and wheels on the 1.2 are on par with the other offerings mentioned. At higher pricepoints consumers would like to see cranks and tires that aren't house brands, but again we are taling a base level bike.

I find it even more puzzling that you fault Trek for outsourcing this model. This is a common practice in the bike industry. In fact, Specialized doesn't make any of its bikes, all of them are sourced and they clearly have some very good bikes.....
Dude, are you one of Treks propaganda people? I know they are all over the internet these days. but to answer your questions here ya go-

This bike is essentially a Trek 1000 parts wise and the tires and cranks are sub par and have been for years. The low end Bontrager tires are just not the quality that some others offer and flat/cut especially easy. Depending on the crank length you get poor clearance to almost no clearance between the crank and the front derailleur and overall poor front shifting (which isn't helped by the quality of chain they use.). When I said the wheels were lower quality I should have been more specific and said spokes I was just too lazy. Spoke failure on the 1000 has been much higher than I find acceptable. None of the things I mention are new as and you will probably see other mention them in reviews of the bike.

Yes I know that Specialized and others sources their bikes as well it but for some reason when it says Trek on it people loose perspective and believe that Trek makes every part of it. Many people buy them because they can't afford a Madone and that is not a great reason to buy this bike or was it ever a great reason to buy a 1000. Not saying the 1.2 is the worst bike in the world but I do believe there are better offerings for the money

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
allthebass said:
Dude, are you one of Treks propaganda people? I know they are all over the internet these days. but to answer your questions here ya go-

This bike is essentially a Trek 1000 parts wise and the tires and cranks are sub par and have been for years. The low end Bontrager tires are just not the quality that some others offer and flat/cut especially easy. Depending on the crank length you get poor clearance to almost no clearance between the crank and the front derailleur and overall poor front shifting (which isn't helped by the quality of chain they use.). When I said the wheels were lower quality I should have been more specific and said spokes I was just too lazy. Spoke failure on the 1000 has been much higher than I find acceptable. None of the things I mention are new as and you will probably see other mention them in reviews of the bike.

Yes I know that Specialized and others sources their bikes as well it but for some reason when it says Trek on it people loose perspective and believe that Trek makes every part of it. Many people buy them because they can't afford a Madone and that is not a great reason to buy this bike or was it ever a great reason to buy a 1000. Not saying the 1.2 is the worst bike in the world but I do believe there are better offerings for the money
At no point did I proclaim the Trek world champion at this pricepoint and having sold Specialized for years I was pretty complimentary toward their product I'd tend to think. Fit being king I think it is pretty reasonable to say a base model bike with 8 sizes--1.2 (I had to look that up I'm such an expert) would be easier to fit than say one with 6 sizes--Allez ( I looked that up too). Everyone with input is welcome, but coming onto to forum with no posts, slamming a brand, then accusing longtime posters of being shills isn't the way to make a positive lasting impression.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i personally found mine on craigslist =) its actually pretty easy to find bikes and they are all local

·
Registered
520 Posts
robbyracer said:
I went to the LBS kinda set on a Specialized bike and ended up with a Cannondale 'cause it fit me better. LBS FTW! They also helped me after the sale with a couple of tech issues.

aye, same here... though i was set on a lemond and liked the fit of the specialized better. we're lucky to live with so many choices :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.