Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to "real" road riding/racing/touring and am looking for a mid entry level ride. I was given the three in the title of this thread by a friend. Up to this point all my research has been online. I want to know what I am talking about before I get into a bike shop with a "salesman" (or woman).

I am 6'4" tall and flux between 225 and 235 lbs. I am and will be tough on my ride(s).

Anyone have any insight regarding these three or a different but comparable?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
These are all "entry level" bikes with aluminum frames and Sora shifters. If you can afford better, you should look at the next level up (Trek 2.1, Spec Allez Sport, etc)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MrAntares, thanks for the reply. I was in the shop today and learned more. Seems there is a variety of components ranging from sora to dura ace, and I was told components are key. I want to stay around $1000, but that seems to be a pipe dream. I haven't even considered shoes and pedals yet.
The guy also told me Lemond is no longer manufacturing bikes, is this true?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Some will tell you components are key while others will say the frame is the heart of the bike. I believe the latter, because IME I have frames/ forks far longer than components that bolt on to it. You decide.

Re: Lemond bikes. Until recently, manufacturing was contracted out to Trek but that partnership is no more, so AFAIK the future of Lemonds is uncertain.

IMO since you're a noob and in the early stages of bike shopping, visit a few shops and go for some test rides to get a feel for what's available in your price range. While I agree that Sora shifters aren't the best, I'm not sure they're a deal breaker if you need to stay in your price range. There's always time later to upgrade, which you'll do no matter what components you end up with.

Lastly, fit matters most, so keep that in mind as you test ride some bikes. BTW, if there's a dealer in your area, the Scott Speedsters may be worth a look.

·
Registered
994 Posts
dazlim said:
Anyone have any thoughts on any of the following?

Kona
Fuji Roubaix
Canondale CAAD series
Kona makes good road bikes. I ride a Kapu and it's been solid. Kona his highly underrated in the road world because they are more known for their mountain bikes. Their prices at full retail seem a bit steep to me considering the market, but once clearance season comes, the prices are marked down substantially. The Kapu retails for 2099 and dealers were clearing them out on ebay for 1300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked at the Giant Defy 3 (I think) for $1350. Anyone have any experience with this ride? How would it compare to the Trek 2.1, the Allez elite etc.? I have too many numbers and manufacturers going through my brain now. Help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh by the way, no shops around my area have the size frame I need (62cm min) to even test ride. Both "real" shops have promised to order and fit when it arrives at no obligation to me. I am hesitant to test the theory.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
dazlim said:
Oh by the way, no shops around my area have the size frame I need (62cm min) to even test ride. Both "real" shops have promised to order and fit when it arrives at no obligation to me. I am hesitant to test the theory.
The problem I'd have with that is (IMO) the bike shop has an interest in making the bike fit so they make a sale. Moreso than if it were in their inventory to start with. But there's an easy way to test the theory. If there's no obligation to you, they should be willing to order the bike sans a deposit. If they hedge on the suggestion, you may have your answer.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
dazlim said:
Just looked at the Giant Defy 3 (I think) for $1350. Anyone have any experience with this ride? How would it compare to the Trek 2.1, the Allez elite etc.? I have too many numbers and manufacturers going through my brain now. Help?
The Defy 3 lists for $810 and is 8 spd., so I doubt that's the model you'd be interested in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was choosin between allez and trek 1000 back in 2006. I went for allez purely because it looked a little nicer to me. I knew the frame on both bikes was good enough for me and that I'd upgrade the wheels at some point. I didn't want to go for high end components (in fact I have mix of unbranded/sora/tiagra rd) because I wanted to learn how to adjust the low end stuff before I dog into the high end stuff.

Now 3 years later I'm still happy with my ride. I don't need another ride but like most cyclists I'm always looking out for my next bike. :)

I think (but am not sure) that specialized have more comfortable bar tape.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Lemond is out of business. They were great great bikes, with nice relaxed geometry. Trek sucks. I hate how Armstrong told them to drop the Lemond line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.