Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I'm interested in trying out cyclo-cross but I don't have much to spend on a cross bike. Besides there aren't too many cross bikes being brought into South Africa

I have a Trek 1000 with a Cro-moly fork, I know there might be problems with tyre fit etc.
but would the frame be strong enough to handle cyclo-cross?

Thanks in advance

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
i don't think the geometry would be friendly for cross. if you have 'cross races, there are bikes out there, including new ones. keep an eye out for them.

· Registered
296 Posts
I've owned a couple of trek 1000's and really liked them for an inexpensive road bike. I've also ridden many dirt trails and fire roads on the 1000 but... it's not a good bike for 'cross. You'd be much better off looking for a used 'cross bike.
I tried to fit 700-32 ritchey speedmax tires on mine and they wouldn't fit. I think that you'd have a tough time finding 'cross tires that will fit. If you did you would have to deflate them to put the wheel on to squeeze the tire through the brakes.
In conclusion... I love the trek 1000 but not for 'cross.

· Registered
239 Posts
I've seen it done for collegiate nationals in providence. I remember seeing the bike and wondering if it really works. I dont konw how it performed but I doubt the bike was a gigantic hinderance. I'm sure a cross bike with large tires would have been better and in the mud the clearance would be really low. BTW he was running narrow tufo tubular clincher tires and they fit fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.