Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to get into road cycling for a long time now, and when my bike was stolen this winter I decided it was time to get a road bike. I did some basic research and stopped on Trek 1500.

Then, I went to local store and spoke with the sales person there and he basically said if u’re on a tight budget (I am a college student with part-time job), I should go with 1000 instead.
The only differences I see between those bikes are the shifters, wheels and better derailleurs. The sales person said that if properly adjusted, stock 1000 derailleurs would do a great job (unlike all the reviews I read online, which say that front 2203 is terrible and barely functions).

Should I get 1000 now and upgrade wheels/shifters/derailleurs next season when I have more money? Or should I just find some money and get 1500 right away?

Thank You

·
Registered
33 Posts
i would go with the 1500 and will explain ok so my dad has a 1000 05' and i have a 1200 05' the 100 stuff is all sora.... blah its squishy and un responsive. the 1200 stuff is better slightly with tiagra and 105 same wheels though. but then with 1500 i think u then get into ultegra derailleurs and i believe the 05' has a bontrager wheelset? which is way better than any alex wheelset. hope it helps

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought a Trek 1000 as my first bike. I would suggest it.

I got my bike on sale for $550, I rode it for the entire summer and put 500 miles on it and upgraded (Spec. Allez Elite). I was able to resell for 450 no problem (probably couldve gotten 500). With entry level bikes (especially by trek, for whatever reason) I have found they don't depreciate much... if at all. So if you ride it, get hooked and want to upgrade you can either a) sell it for about the same or b) have a really awesome 2nd bike

I don't think the drivetrain was that bad. Yes 105 is better but if you are just getting into the sport I don't really think it will make that much of a difference. Obviously now I can tell the difference but for those first 500-1000 miles I didn't notice.

I was happy with the tact I took (I am a college student aswell). It did not hurt the bank much, if at all and got into the sport.

May want to think about used bikes too. You could probably find a good condition 1500 for a little more than you were willing to pay for a new 1000, if you were deadset on the 1500.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1500 it is

Looks like I will be getting 1500 (way better components), only question is the price.
One of my local shops has 2k6 model it for $1050, I wonder if I can bring it down to $950-1000. Gonna go there this weekend, I will check out other store near college too.
I was cycling since I can remember, and I am sure that I would've upgraded 1000s stock components no later than in a year, so I figured I'd ask parents to help me out a little and get 1500 instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts