Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about replacing the frame here. Issue is the bottom bracket is a 68x118 and it seems hard to find a frame that is compatible without a deep search on every site. Any ideas, suggestions?

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
An aluminum frame with a 68 mm bb shell is the most common. How can it be hard to find? The 118 is spindle length, which is determined by what crank you are using. Any 68mm bb shelled frame will take 68 by whatever (103/107/110/113/115/118/121/etc)

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
If you've broken the frame or want a different size, this one is about the same as the 1200 and (probably) all the parts would transfer over:
Nashbar Alloy Road Frame

Nashbar sells good stuff with a warranty and good customer service. Today that frame is 25% off so would be $150 with free shipping. They only have one size in stock so you'll have to call to ask when they will get more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An aluminum frame with a 68 mm bb shell is the most common. How can it be hard to find?
Do you have any suggestions? What do you like? What would you look at? Lots of newer aluminum frames are not using that BB anymore as well. I have a triple setup that needs that size BB if you will so I can just switch it over.

Most manufacturers do not seem to have a big selection of them as well.

I saw a Scattante at Performance so far and Randy91CL said Nashbar.

I need a 52 or 53 size.

Thanks guys

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
If your 1200 is anything like my son's 1200 hanging in my garage, it uses fairly ancient components (downtube shifters and single pivot calipers) and rides like a tank. You might consider a used bike off craigslist or eBay. Or a new one from bikesdirect.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
Do you have any suggestions? What do you like? What would you look at? Lots of newer aluminum frames are not using that BB anymore as well. I have a triple setup that needs that size BB if you will so I can just switch it over.

Most manufacturers do not seem to have a big selection of them as well.

I saw a Scattante at Performance so far and Randy91CL said Nashbar.

I need a 52 or 53 size.

Thanks guys
Head to your local bike shop. Check out the aluminum bikes that feature an standard 68 mm bb shell. Ask if the model you like is available as a frame only. If it isn't, ask them to ask the manufacturer if they'll sell a frame from the warranty department. I've hooked up many customers that way. The manufacturers will often have older models in their warranty department that they'll sell dirt cheap. You get a frame at a great price, lbs gets a sale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts