Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a decent road bike. I'm a first time road bike buyer, and I've tried to study up as much as I can. I wouldn't actually plan on using this in races, but just recreational riding in rural Minnesota and possibly a bit of longer distance riding.

I have tried to look at a variety of brands in order to make my decision, however, the problem is I don't have a lot of options in buying a bike. There is only one bike dealer near where I live, and they really only deal for Trek and Schwinn. Although I could go further away and buy I bike, I would like to if at all possible to business with the local bike shop, I think it would benefit me as well as them.

Online, I've looked at some Trek and Specialized bikes mainly. For those two brands, I like the Trek 2.1, the Specialized Sequoia, and Specialized Allez.

I recently went into my local bike shop to look at their selection. My real plan was to try to find a older 2.1 model, but they didn't have any in my size. However, I did see a possible 2007 Trek 1500 for $1000. What really caught my attention though was that it had all Shimano 105 components, and from the little reading I've done, I have found that for my budget, I was probably not going to be able to do all 105 components. This bike was appealing to me, and I thought it was a pretty good deal. My question now, is it actually that great of a deal?

In addition, would the difference in frame from this older 1500 to a 2009 2.1 be mainly the lack of the carbon seat stays on the 1500?

Please forgive my ignorance, and I would be glad to see any response!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
If that 1500 is new ( old stock ) the price is good. That's to much money for a used bike. The 1500 with all 105 is a good bike for that price point. The one thing about it is that the all aluminum 1500 is IMHO a harsh riding frame. If you're young and don't have to many fillings in your teeth, buy it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the 2006 1500 and I love it. Well i love it after I got ride of the bontrager select wheels for some ultegra/mavic cpx33 wheels and put new tires and dumped that shitty bontrager triple for an ultegra double and added a fizik aliante seat.

I got mine used for 600 off Craigslist.

1000 sounds decent for a new bike but you are going to spend a lot more eventually if you stick with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is brand new. Although I am interested in looking at some used bikes, especially some real old ten speeds, I would prefer to buy a brand new bike for my first bike.

The all aluminum frame is a negative. I would prefer to have at least the carbon seat stays like in the 2.1. However, I test rode it and it felt fine. I'll have to try some other more expensive first to compare though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
lakeview423 said:
The bike is brand new. Although I am interested in looking at some used bikes, especially some real old ten speeds, I would prefer to buy a brand new bike for my first bike.

The all aluminum frame is a negative. I would prefer to have at least the carbon seat stays like in the 2.1. However, I test rode it and it felt fine. I'll have to try some other more expensive first to compare though.
I have seen that bike at more than a few places for as little as 899.99 on closeout . Most of the places have it for 929.99. A thousand is ok but try and get them to these prices if you can or at least get a discount on extras.
In fact this is one of my bikes and I use it primarily for bad weather rides. The wheels are **** ,as is the saddle and tires. Switch those three things out and you will be good to go . It does have a bit of an unforgiving ride especially after say 40 miles but it handles extremely well and feels solid .

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
It's a pretty decent price but not the best like some have said.

It's not a harsh ride at all honestly. I've rode my friend's 1500 on a few occasions just to swap bikes when we go on a ride and I actually feel good on it. It's not much harsher than my Madone honestly in the short-ish time that I rode it each time.

Additionally, his tires were wider than mine too so that had some effect I'm sure.

Sure, it's got the aluminum harshness but it's pretty fine and if you're looking at aluminum bikes, they're not gonna differ too much anyway (full aluminum) IMO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a 1500 in August of 2007 at a year end clearance for $899 and it came with an Ultegra crank and rd. The shifters and fd are 105. I replaced the seat and change the tires (a few times now). The wheels are fine. I had the rear wheel trued about a month ago for the first time and the front wheel is still true. I've put over 9,000 miles on it and still love it. You should be able to find one for under $1,000 but new ones (especially in the more popular sizes) are probably hard to find since they stopped making them two years ago.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
lakeview423 said:
My question now, is it actually that great of a deal?

In addition, would the difference in frame from this older 1500 to a 2009 2.1 be mainly the lack of the carbon seat stays on the 1500?

Please forgive my ignorance, and I would be glad to see any response!
Well, if I read your post correctly, you're looking for a 1500 Trek? I'd look around for a Trek ZR9000 2100 from 2006-2007. That's what I bought last year at this time for around $1,200.00. There are a few here and there laying around cycle shops. It would help to state your size frame?

As for the aluminum frame on these Treks, it's very forgiving in my book. Lot of the forgivingness depends on the type of wheels you will use... and don't be fooled on rubber. There was an article in last month's Road Bike Action Magazine [page 102 March/April] on 25mm Conti 4000's having the exact same handling and control of the 20/23's and not weighing in much more ...but offering better comfort. Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tire Who's afraid of 25's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts