Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a decent road bike. I'm a first time road bike buyer, and I've tried to study up as much as I can. I wouldn't actually plan on using this in races, but just recreational riding in rural Minnesota and possibly a bit of longer distance riding.

I have tried to look at a variety of brands in order to make my decision, however, the problem is I don't have a lot of options in buying a bike. There is only one bike dealer near where I live, and they really only deal for Trek and Schwinn. Although I could go further away and buy I bike, I would like to if at all possible to business with the local bike shop, I think it would benefit me as well as them.

Online, I've looked at some Trek and Specialized bikes mainly. For those two brands, I like the Trek 2.1, the Specialized Sequoia, and Specialized Allez.

I recently went into my local bike shop to look at their selection. My real plan was to try to find a older 2.1 model, but they didn't have any in my size. However, I did see a possible 2007 Trek 1500 for $1000. What really caught my attention though was that it had all Shimano 105 components, and from the little reading I've done, I have found that for my budget, I was probably not going to be able to do all 105 components. This bike was appealing to me, and I thought it was a pretty good deal. My question now, is it actually that great of a deal?

In addition, would the difference in frame from this older 1500 to a 2009 2.1 be mainly the lack of the carbon seat stays on the 1500?

Please forgive my ignorance, and I would be glad to see any response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike is brand new. Although I am interested in looking at some used bikes, especially some real old ten speeds, I would prefer to buy a brand new bike for my first bike.

The all aluminum frame is a negative. I would prefer to have at least the carbon seat stays like in the 2.1. However, I test rode it and it felt fine. I'll have to try some other more expensive first to compare though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts