Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Does anyone know if a 05Trek 1500 converted to a cyclocross? Thinking about buying, building or converting a bike for the fun of it. Hate to sink much money into it because I really don't think I would use it much. But I have that 1500 that I hardly use. I guess the biggest problem would be tire clearance. Anyone know if there is enough clearance to put some knobby tires on it?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Probably not do-able. If you were able to get a cross-type tire in there, it would have to be so narrow it wouldn't give you the performance you'd need. Ideally you'd be able to fit a 30mm + tire in there with a relatively aggressive tread. Not totally familiar with that model, but by '05 most road bikes were spec'ed for a maximum tire width of 26 or so. Get out your calipers and measure the inside spacing of your fork, chainstays, and seatstays. Also keep in mind a bigger tire is going to be taller as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.