Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've narrowed my search down to these two bikes. I'm a beginning rider looking to get into the sport. Besides the personal feel of each bike, which I need to determine, are there any pros/cons of one bike over the other? Just to let you know, the R700 would be approximately $200 less than the 2100. Any other models you'd recommend checking out at this price point?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
citybeing said:
I've narrowed my search down to these two bikes. I'm a beginning rider looking to get into the sport. Besides the personal feel of each bike, which I need to determine, are there any pros/cons of one bike over the other? Just to let you know, the R700 would be approximately $200 less than the 2100. Any other models you'd recommend checking out at this price point?

Thanks!!
It's up to you. The only pro or con depends on how it floats your boat and how well the bike handles for you. Both are high-quality bikes in their price-range. And, no, there are no quality or performance pros or cons to speak of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It depends on what you want to do. The R700 is as close to an out of the box race bike as I've seen. At least at that price point. I bought the R700 because it 1) climbs like a billy goat 2) weighed in at 18lbs stock 3) was at my fav LBS and 4) had the best paint. I have recently figured out that none of the above criteria were what I was really after. I find the C'dale uncomfortable after 25 or so miles. It is very stiff, unforgiving, responsive, and all of the other good stuff you want in a race rig. In other words, if you're looking to do centuries, look elsewhere. If you're looking to get into serious group riding, racing, or weight weenie-ing, the R700 is a great starting point.

BTW- The CAAD7 frame of the 05 R700 is the same frame as the 04 R5000. That's C'dale's top o' the line bike, so the frame is very worthy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts