Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bottom bracket ??.got a cracking noise coming from crank area!!happens about 20 times on 50 mile run!!mostly when putting lots of pressure on down stroke or after free wheeling!!had new pedals fitted,plus bottom bearing cups.should i have put a new rod in aswell??checked all nuts bolts screws frame etcccc..but still does it??been to local bike shop and they said there not sure!!!any advice out there please thanks mark..its 2004 model ultrega 5.9 madone!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Did you know you can shave 7 grams off your post if you limit punctuation marks to one per sentence, and don't use bold formatting? Also, using capital letters at the beginning of sentences and on proper nouns increases your VO2 max (and it's UCI legal).

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Don't forget that my friend and I both had bottom bracket noise. It wound up being that the seatpost and seat rails needed grease. Those creaks can travel through the bike tubes and make you believe they are coming from somewhere they're not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i mean spindle.it happened before putting new pedals on and new botton bearing cups on by local bike shop.but its made no diffrence .only makes the cracking noise now and again.
Damn that was hard to read!

Rod, do you mean axle? Think you might need a new crank if so.

Did it start the noise after you had the new parts put in or before?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
greased seat post ,seat rails,checked frame,still doing it.checked rear hub,but there new rl bontrager wheels and x lite tyres so all seems fine there!think its gonna go back to a shop.should have changed the spindle with the cups maybe?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll second the seat post. They can be a bear, however if it's doing it while standing / out of the saddle, I might suspect chain ring bolts. I had heck with CRB's on an Ultegra setup. I finally fixed it by removing the bolts, applying lock-tight (blue) and then re-installing.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
should have changed the spindle with the cups maybe?
There is no spindle that you can change out. If you have the more modern Ultegra crank, the spindle (axle) is an integral part of the drive-side crank. If you have the older Ultegra Octalink crank, the spindle (axle) is an integral part of the bottom bracket. Which crank do you have? Look at the back of a crank arm for a number prefaced by "FC".

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
ah was just reiterating for the OP.

Thing is it could be just one of those things, makes a noise that is irritating or could be something is about to explode into a million bits.

This is a carbon bike right? Make double sure there are no cracks in the frame.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah full carbon trek 5.9 madone..i ve checked frame aswell as shop its fine.just been round block on bike.its coming from crank area.will take it to a trek dealer and hope they don t con me.it made a cracking noise twice both times after free wheeling.is there a updated bottom bracket?which could be fitted without any other changers to my crank set?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
well if you have already replaced the BB then... who knows, could even be the thread inside the frame coming loose from the carbon...at the rate your replacing bits, almost time for new bike...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,670 Posts
You should stop asking random questions on the forum and get the bike to a shop that knows what they're doing. Do NOT buy any new parts on the internet. Wait until you figure out exactly what is causing the noise and then consider actually buying the parts(if any are needed) at the shop that does the work. You've received a lot of helpful advice, please take it and get your noise fixed.

Once you've done that you can work on not double posting and coming up w/ a title for your posts that actually gives us a hint about the problem and doesn't just tell everyone what bike you ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.