Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going carbon with my next bike. I have been looking at the Trek 5200 and the Orbea Onix. I would like to hear anyone's opinion on these two bikes? I am currently riding a Trek 2100, so the Trek 5200 feels more familiar to me in regards to the geometry. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
ride a lot of bikes. It does not matter what material the bike is made of. What matters is fit and geometry. Since different bike mfgs have different philosophies you have to see what's out there. You named two good brands out of bushels of brands to choose from.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
why not expand your options to other brands? giant, specialized, cervelo, pedal force...


kwhite01 said:
I am thinking of going carbon with my next bike. I have been looking at the Trek 5200 and the Orbea Onix. I would like to hear anyone's opinion on these two bikes? I am currently riding a Trek 2100, so the Trek 5200 feels more familiar to me in regards to the geometry. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Trek 5200

For what it is worth, I have rode a Trek 5200 for the past 3 years and have loved it. It is very comfortable and responsive when I need it to be. I have not had bike envy once since buying it. Okay there was that one time I was looking at an $8000 Colnago but it meant nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have thought about some other brands such as Specialized. And, since I am local to Morgan Hill, CA that may not be a bad idea. I will take a look. In regards to Giant and others, they do not seem to be as supported by the local bike shops around here, and therefore I have never tried them. Any suggestions on the other brand models that are comparable to the Trek 5200 or Orbea? I agree the Orbea looks a lot better than the Trek, but I thought the Trek was slightly more comfortable. Considering I am more of a distance rider, I was leaning towards this one. But, I want to keep an open mind, so all suggestions are welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flying_Elvis said:
For what it is worth, I have rode a Trek 5200 for the past 3 years and have loved it. It is very comfortable and responsive when I need it to be. I have not had bike envy once since buying it. Okay there was that one time I was looking at an $8000 Colnago but it meant nothing.
Good info. Let me ask you another questions since you own a 5200. Have you have any concerns over the frame? I have heard some concern over the clear coat on them in that is seems to flake off after awile. Any exprerience with that? Also, what saddle do you use with your Trek?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I have had a 5200 for the last 2 years. I love the bike, it's been very forgiving. I have lost 70 pounds while riding it. About a year ago, I had a crack in the bottom bracket, not sure how it got there or what happened. Trek replaced it fairly quickly and I am completely satisfied. I would have loved to upgrade it to a Madone. I would buy it again!

The only complaint is that I would like to have a stiffer frame, I believe that I can feel the frame flex when sprinting or climbing. Bear in mind that I am just a tad over 200.

I echo a previous post, get out and ride a lot bikes. Just don't take them around a parking lot, but see if you can get in an extended ride.

ScubaD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scubad said:
I have had a 5200 for the last 2 years. I love the bike, it's been very forgiving. I have lost 70 pounds while riding it. About a year ago, I had a crack in the bottom bracket, not sure how it got there or what happened. Trek replaced it fairly quickly and I am completely satisfied. I would have loved to upgrade it to a Madone. I would buy it again!

The only complaint is that I would like to have a stiffer frame, I believe that I can feel the frame flex when sprinting or climbing. Bear in mind that I am just a tad over 200.

I echo a previous post, get out and ride a lot bikes. Just don't take them around a parking lot, but see if you can get in an extended ride.

ScubaD
Good info. I definitly need to get out and see about an extended ride on at least these two. I took a look at a couple of the other brands mentioned in this thread, but they all appear to have compact frames. I am not a big fan of campact frames. I would prefre to stick with the race geometry.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
Orbea

as they have gotten nothing but stellar reviews (I think Bike of the year last years Bicycling Buyers Guide). Stable, good climbers and not so pedestrian as Treks.
Treks are nice bikes but they are dime a dozen.

on the other hand, buy a Merckx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Orbea gives a lot more customizing ability than Trek. You've gone though the Made To Order on orbea-usa.com? You can pick from several frame colors, Shimano or Campy drivetrains, multiple wheels, bars, stems, saddles, compact or standard crankset. With Trek, you get only Shimano and Bontrager components. But I guess that factor doesn't matter if one is a lot more comfortable for you.

Like others have said, you shouldn't limit yourself to those two brands. Go test ride different brands and models, even if you have to drive over an hour to bike shops in other cities. I ordered my blue Opal with Chorus from a place that's over an hour away from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
kwhite01 said:
I am thinking of going carbon with my next bike. I have been looking at the Trek 5200 and the Orbea Onix. I would like to hear anyone's opinion on these two bikes? I am currently riding a Trek 2100, so the Trek 5200 feels more familiar to me in regards to the geometry. Any thoughts?
How much do you want to spend? You could get a full custom Calfee if you have the bucks. Think outside of the box. American made in La Selva beach, California.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
kwhite01 said:
Why do you say Trek over Orbea? Just curious.....
They both offer great bikes. I own a Trek now and I have ridden the 5.2 sl with the 110 oclv and I am personally impressed with the ride, I think it's a terrific all around bike. Also like the lifetime warranty and no rider weight limit for such a light frame. As far as price I dont know how much the orbea costs so I can't speak to that, the Trek is pretty expensive though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Buy the Trek!

No seriously...try to ride both as long as they'll allow.
I have a 2001 trek 5200 that needed repair for the brake stop on the top tube.
Trek sent call tags to my LBS (no shipping cost to me)
stripped all the paint
replaced the brake stop
new bottom bracket inserts
emailed me to ask what color paint I'd like
supplied me with a new all carbon staight blade fork painted to match frame
frame now has only 1 set of Trek stickers on down tube & a head badge (looks much better)
Process took about 3 weeks (it's good to have a 2nd bike)
No cost to me.
Bike looks brand new after 5 years of riding.
I guess I'm saying that they've treated me pretty well. There are a lot of Treks out on the road, but I still really enjoy ridng mine. I think it does a pretty good job of doing all things well, without making too many compromises to specialize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Javelin Gattinara! You keep your cooky cutter bikes. I'll take something interesting and about half the price. The Ti Carbon frame is beautiful. I can get the complete bike in D.Ace for a couple thousand less than Trek or Orbea and the quality is excellent!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top