Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a 2001 Trek 5900 in my size, which is still sitting new on the shelf in a store near me. It is marked down a LOT from new. It's very tempting to me as I currently ride a 2200, and the geometry isn't terribly different.

Curious if anyone could run down the changes between a 01 and an 04 for me. If I don't get this one I'll end up possibly getting a 5200 or 5500. (This bike is priced between what a new 5200 and 5500 would cost)

If anyone wants to warn me off it, I'm 6'1", About 175lbs, maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on my current condition. I will be using it for racing, long rides, etc..

There is also the little matter of my team being sponsored by a shop which doesn't sell Trek, and I would kind of like to support the sponsor. However this deal is probably better than any team discount I can get, unless there is something funky/wrong with the 01 model that I should avoid.

I guess I should mention that I know a new 5500 or 5900 comes with DA 10 speed, I'm not sure the extra cog makes much of a difference to me. I'm more thinking of issues with the wheels, stem, bars, possible durability of the frame, etc..

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,

That is exactly the information I was looking for.

I may still check it out but now I think I may just get a Giant TCR through the sponsoring shop, as the discount there is pretty good and it is a less expensive bike anyway. I have a Giant mountain bike too, so I like both Giant and Trek.

Thanks,
Ben

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.