Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm torn and looking for some advice - I'm new to road but have always wanted to ride. I've spent a good many years on mountain bikes but finally ready to spend some money to jump in after saving.

I've looked a the 2013 6.2 Trek Madone and Domane. I thought I was in for the Madone when I road a 2013 Cervelo r5 and just about fell in love. The Domane and Madone are about $4500 but the Cervelo is netting about $5300. I know it's crazy money and a little absurd but I don't want to buy again; I'm a bigger fan of a one time buy than buy and upgrade.

I know, from reading, that Trek has a bit of a bad rap - in part for being good at marketing beyond the cycling-base, and in part b/c others thinks for the money you can score a better ride. I've also ready that Cervelo, some say, make a subpar for cost bike - is the R5 right in that mix?

The Treks have Ultegra. The Cervelo is SRAM Red.

I'm 36, new to the sport but ready to ride all the time. I'm about 5' 10", 170 in really good shape. I want to ride the Colorado classics (Ride the Rockies, triple bypass) so I'm searching for a longer ride bike but I really want to climb too (lungs are a bit weak at it right now) and enjoy the challenge of going up.

What's the general feedback on these rides? I honestly like all of them but maybe I don't know exactly how to tease out the final pros and cons of each - what do people think?

And, if you had an option on a 2012 Trek Madone 6.7 for the same cost as the 2013 Cervelo R5 which would you prefer?

Thanks so much for spending any degree of time on my needs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I own neither, but have read a bunch about both. I seem to hear more about Cervelo frame issues than Trek frame issues... If I bout one of the two it would be a Trek..

I have Force now, and I can't imagine Red being that much different. Yes it is lighter, but the system behaves a certain way.. I have used Shimano in the past and although it is not my favorite, it would not keep me from buying a bike equipped with it. If i had my choice it would be Campy... Just sayin..

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Have you ridden both? If so get the one you like the best - end of story. If you are not sure then check weights and try some different bikes. You will probably have a strong opinion of sram vs shimano shifters. I did and I definitely preferred sram. The R5 Red is one of the finest bikes on the planet for stiffness and weight. I dont think you can do better than that bike unless you are prepared to throw some serious money at your next purchase. I think Cervelo enjoys a much better brand name because they only make a few different models of expensive bikes (I think the R3 starts at 3k+) while trek makes everything and some start at $500. Cervelo also has a huge following with the triathlon crowd.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think you are looking at new but be aware used cervelos dont have the lifetime frame warranty which is the best warranty in the business. The older R3s (pre 2011?) had a bunch of bikes that cracked frames in the BB area and cervelo gives all of them new frames no questions asked. If you had a cheaper model which is no longer made you got an upgrade at no cost. Shouldnt have cracked in the first place but everyone is on a race to lighter and stiffer.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I've ridden both and chose the Trek. I did it when I bought the Trek 5.2 a few years ago and again when I got the Trek 7.9 last year. I also preferred the Madone over the Domane.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I road both briefly, and actually preferred the Trek as well (picking up a Domane next week).

Plus, the cracking BB issues on the Cervelo do not inspire confidence, especially when they don't stand by their frames with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Plus, the cracking BB issues on the Cervelo do not inspire confidence, especially when they don't stand by their frames with a lifetime warranty.
Well, who can argue with someone as well informed as you. The only question is are you merely ignorant or do you have some ulterior motive.
Warranty - Cervélo
"Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo SA (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo SA against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner, excluding paint and decals. (Cervélo bicycle frames purchased before this date came with a four year warranty). This covers ALL bicycle frame models Cervélo offers."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, who can argue with someone as well informed as you. The only question is are you merely ignorant or do you have some ulterior motive.
Warranty - Cervélo
"Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo SA (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo SA against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner, excluding paint and decals. (Cervélo bicycle frames purchased before this date came with a four year warranty). This covers ALL bicycle frame models Cervélo offers."
I guess you can paint me in the ignorant category; I stand corrected. I was just going based on another guy that must've had a pre-'04 that they did not warranty. Good to hear things have changed.

On another note; have a beer on me today...sounds like you need one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
When you reach the $5,000.00 mark for a bike, you really cannot go wrong. At this price point you are going to get a great stiff race bike and just go with the best fit. I love SRAM Red and cannot see myself going back. You will love the "Yaw" FD and the XG 1090 Rear Cassette...Shifting is effortless and so quiet, you really do not need Di2.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Gentlemen, no need for acquisition to be sling around on the forum. We are here to assist each other. Skozub01, if you still is skeptical, do a search about the Cervelo frame and warranty on here since there are numbers of these threads posted in the past. Happy St. Patty's day everybody.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I want to thank everyone for taking the time on a busy day to offer your assistance to what seems a daunting question in my mind - your responses have been helpful. I appreciate the guidance, and even slight misinformation which others have corrected - it's all new to me and helps. It's also great to see a community of road riders who are so willing to come together and be supportive of each other - this is one of the key characteristics that helps the sport progress.

I will continue to ride and try to select a winner over the next two weeks - the one thing that persists and improves however is my interest and desire to dive into the sport. One of you noted that at this price point I can't possibly select a poor bike which is the growing realization in my mind. No matter which wins out, it will be in part an emotional purchase of the one that feels 'correct' that day. I'm excited to get my first and can't wait to have the chance to offer more input than questions on this forum. Thank you all. Enjoy the day and grab a pint of your favorite ale!

Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2011 R5 and a 2007 Madone 5.5 (first year they made the new frame with the curvy-wurvies.) Really, they're both great bikes, and lots of fun to ride. The Madone is one size too big for me, but other than that I like them both. I only use it on the trainer these days though. I've got 15,000+ miles on the R5 and the bike itself has been perfect. The Zipp 101 wheels on the other hand... not so much.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I'm torn and looking for some advice - I'm new to road but have always wanted to ride. I've spent a good many years on mountain bikes but finally ready to spend some money to jump in after saving.

I've looked a the 2013 6.2 Trek Madone and Domane. I thought I was in for the Madone when I road a 2013 Cervelo r5 and just about fell in love. The Domane and Madone are about $4500 but the Cervelo is netting about $5300. I know it's crazy money and a little absurd but I don't want to buy again; I'm a bigger fan of a one time buy than buy and upgrade.

I know, from reading, that Trek has a bit of a bad rap - in part for being good at marketing beyond the cycling-base, and in part b/c others thinks for the money you can score a better ride. I've also ready that Cervelo, some say, make a subpar for cost bike - is the R5 right in that mix?

The Treks have Ultegra. The Cervelo is SRAM Red.

I'm 36, new to the sport but ready to ride all the time. I'm about 5' 10", 170 in really good shape. I want to ride the Colorado classics (Ride the Rockies, triple bypass) so I'm searching for a longer ride bike but I really want to climb too (lungs are a bit weak at it right now) and enjoy the challenge of going up.

What's the general feedback on these rides? I honestly like all of them but maybe I don't know exactly how to tease out the final pros and cons of each - what do people think?

And, if you had an option on a 2012 Trek Madone 6.7 for the same cost as the 2013 Cervelo R5 which would you prefer?

Thanks so much for spending any degree of time on my needs.

i hear cervelo makes good bikes...

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
If you're really going to drop $5000 on your first road bike, you ought too give it some more thought than the two mass market hyped brands your LBS carries. I guarantee you that in a year, you'll probably want something else.

Between a Trek, and a Cervelo ... I'd rather walk.

And trust me, almost any bike can do Ride the Rockies. Its high altitude, but not that steep. I've seen guys on mountian bikes riding it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you're really going to drop $5000 on your first road bike, you ought too give it some more thought than the two mass market hyped brands your LBS carries. I guarantee you that in a year, you'll probably want something else.

Between a Trek, and a Cervelo ... I'd rather walk.

And trust me, almost any bike can do Ride the Rockies. Its high altitude, but not that steep. I've seen guys on mountian bikes riding it.
What magical bike do you ride?

·
Registered
318 Posts
At $5k, they are all good. For $5k I would want at least dura ace on my bike instead of ultegra. Personally, I like rarity therefore I got the BMC SLR01 from CC with Di2. It's less than $5k and it's just pure sexy. But between the R5 and the 6.2, I'll go with the R5

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I know, from reading, that Trek has a bit of a bad rap - in part for being good at marketing beyond the cycling-base, and in part b/c others thinks for the money you can score a better ride.
Trek's bad rap has nothing to do with the quality of the product and how it rides.

It's because:

They're common. Pedestrian. No sexy Italian name (even though the frame is made in China). Mass marketing means Freds buy them in disproportionate numbers. Backed the "one-time seven time" TdF winner for too long. Kicked the ""still-three-time" TdF winner to the curb. Treat their dealers like crap. Buy up other brands and obliterate them. And so on. rarely, if ever, will you read a negative remark that doesn't involve one, more, or all of the above, and maybe a few I haven't seen yet.

If you like the way it fits, and you like the way it rides, don't let what you read keep you from buying it. Ride as many bikes as you can. You're spending $5 large. You owe it to yourself to ride yourself, and decide for yourself. The trouble with asking questions like this online, is that you get both brand loyalty, and brand animosity, playing into it. Be loyal to yourself and your wallet. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I actually have three road bikes. And several that I've sold over the years. I don't feel the need to advertise what I ride, or used to ride, on every post here.

I guess it depends on what you call "advertising". It took 10 seconds to figure out that you've said that you own a Colnago, Litespeed & Merckx and used to own a Kestrel 200 Sci. So clearly you feel the need to explain what bikes you own/owned, like most posters here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.