Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only difference in components between these two bikes is that the 7.6 has a 105 rear derailleur and the 7.5 has a tiagra rear derailleur. The 7.6 frame also has the addition of carbon seatstays.

Do you guys think this is enough to justify the $200 price difference? Will the carbon seatstays really make the ride that much smoother? How much of a difference is there between those two derailleurs?

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
Alky said:

Do you guys think this is enough to justify the $200 price difference? NO

Will the carbon seatstays really make the ride that much smoother? NO, getting wider tires will have much more effect.

How much of a difference is there between those two derailleurs? Not much.
:thumbsup:

· Registered
11,555 Posts
+1

Carbon seat stays do nothing except make it a bit easier to sell a bike to some people. They do seem to have a definite placebo effect, though—people will swear up and down they 'dampen' shock. The Tiagra rear derailleur is a little heavier and not finished quite as nicely than the 105, but there's no difference in function or durability. Save the $200 and use some of it to get a better saddle, better pedals or some decent lighting if you feel the urge to upgrade.

· Registered
119 Posts
I got the 7.6

I got the 7.6 on sale (about $150 off list), because there isn't a 7.5 to be had in Southern California...at least not that I could find anyway. I only say this, since you may find the same thing until the '09 models arrive.

I'm pretty much a newbie, and I'm not quite ready for the drops, so I chose the hybrid. I did test rides on a lot of bikes, including road bikes. The 7.6 FX fit me well and felt better than the rest. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and I've put about 100 miles on it so far. I'm very happy; in fact I'm elated with the purchase -- it may have changed my life.

I've only changed one thing, and that's the saddle. I'm a really big guy - not tall, but overweight, and the stock saddle is not made for a very wide load. I replaced it with a Brooks B17. I heard they are comfy, and so far I'm pleased. I am eager for both my backside to toughen up and the seat to break-in a little more, but mainly I'm just enjoying the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.