Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about spreading the rear of the frame to accomodate newer wheels, I'm new to the sport.. I love my trek 770 but would like to upgrade it a little..
my question is..
Lets say I do the spacing and I can fit a 130mm hub with a new cassette, I have super record components on it now.. will I have to change my whole derailleur or can I just find a cassette that will work?
what other trouble could I have? thanks for any help..
I included two photos

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Before spreading anything, try to just put the new wheel in and see how it goes. I rode my ancient 7-speed Pinarello with a 10-speed wheel for about a year with zero problems. Sold the frame to someone who was glad I didn't spread the stays. As to the shifting: I used friction downtube shifters and it was all good.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
^ what he said. I had a old Reynolds-steel Trek frame and had no problem fitting a modern hub in the rear. No stretching necessary. Nothing got whacked out of true.

Don't know about the derailleur issue as I switched out to a newer 9spd cassette and derailleur at the same time.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
wim said:
Before spreading anything, try to just put the new wheel in and see how it goes. I rode my ancient 7-speed Pinarello with a 10-speed wheel for about a year with zero problems. Sold the frame to someone who was glad I didn't spread the stays. As to the shifting: I used friction downtube shifters and it was all good.
+1. I've had two steel frames that I simply spread the dropouts 2mm's each side and dropped the hub in. Rode the bikes for many years with zero problems.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
How can you be new to the sport and own a Trek 770? That frame is at least 20 years old. I should know; my CURRENT bike sports a Trek 660 frame.

The frame can readily be spread to the 130mm dimension; it's what I did to my frame.

Your problem will be with the rear derailleur. It won't span across a 9-10 speed cassette, and it won't shift well with 9-10 speed chains, which are much narrower than the 7 speed chains the Campy derailleur is familiar with. Same goes with the front; shifting will be slow, harder to adjust, and you may drop more chains.

Spread the rear end, upgrade the entire drivetrain to current vintage stuff, and sell that old Campy on eBay. You will be AMAZED at the prices you'll fetch. I sold a pair of Campy Super Record brakes, over 20 years old (which I removed from the 660, by the way) for $125.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Your bike is a classic. Why would you want to put modern parts on it. It won't make you any faster or the bike ride any better. You would be better off keeping the Trek with period correct components on it and just buy a fancy 10 speed bike. Some aluminum models can be found on e-bay for around $700-900 with either 105 or Ultegra.

Or better yet, buy a used one here.

Save the Trek for special rides and keep it the way it is suppose to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.