Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any newer Domane owners-

A) is your left chainstay thicker than your right (drive side) chain stay towards the front where they meet the seat post? It seems my '17 Domane s5 has a duotrap placeholder and that whole chain stay is thicker in comparison to the right chainstay around that section. This also causes the tire clearance on the left chainstay to be a 1-2mm less than the right. I'm assuming this is normal to the frame design but just wanna make sure.

B) which brings me to my next question... what's the widest tire a S5 Domane can take? The clearance near the duotrap doesn't seem like it can take a much wider tire than the 25c.

Any insight appreciated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't have a Domane, but I would not mind acquiring one. Since no one else has responded, I will post a couple of thoughts.

A) It would be unusual for a bike design to have asymmetric wheel clearance. What I suspect is your rear wheel is slightly out of dish. You can check this by taking it out and flipping it around. If the symmetry is still on the same side, that would indicate the frame is off. If it changes to the other side, you probably have a wheel that needs to be dished. 1 or 2 mm is not much, you could also have a little bit of play in the dropout opening and the wheel could be moving around slightly before clamping.

B) The SL comes with 28 tires, the S with 25 which I found interesting. Don't know the answer to that one. I would check with your shop on both these issues. Is the bike brand new?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Chainstays on my 2016 5 series seem equal, and my wheel/tire is centered. I run 23mm tires so can't help you on the second question, except to say that there's a ton of clearance, so I would think 28's at least shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a response from Trek: Thank you for writing in to Trek. The Domane does use an asymmetrical chain stay, so it is not uncommon to have the tire closer to one side than the other. It is still important to verify that the dropouts are aligned properly and the rear wheel is dished correctly. Your local Trek retailer should have gauges to verify both of these alignments.

So I guess it's on purpose?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
While I understand "thinking outside the box" and having asymmetric chainstays, I find it bothersome and unbelievable that Trek would do something like that. I associate unequal tire clearance with "insufficient" tire clearance.

Therefore, I'd have to measure it myself. If the OP doesn't have a vernier caliper to do so, try using the jaws of an adjustable wrench or a pair of vise grips. Cinch down either until they just contact the chainstay then try to slip your "gauge over the other chainstay in a similar location.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to the bike shop and had the dropouts verified and they are in alignment. Keep in mind the "off center" part is only around the Duotrap area of the chainstay. The tire is centered in the dropouts and seatstays, so it doesn't look like your typical off center wheel. Imagine a bulge on one of your chainstays that limits tire clearance on that part of your chainstay. Thats what its like. I only plan on running 28c tires so I think I can get over it. But yeah, its slightly annoying to people OCD like me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4.5 disc which looks to me it came out of the same mould as the s5. Mine is same as yours. I run 28mm gp4k and there is about 5mm clearance on drive side and 3mm on duotrap side.

Never had any problems and it rides straight. Good bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an update to this, I happened to go to another shop today. 2 2017 Domane S bikes both had the exact same thing. Also an Emonda ALR did as well, although not as bad. I agree it's kind of weird Trek does this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts