Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ordered yesterday & should be in on Friday. Any cheap tweaks?
cheapest tweaks for more speed:

1) set the seat height, fore-aft position correctly
2) drop the stem a cm or two
3) pedal further, pedal faster

next on the list for cheapest speed upgrades might be GP4000sII tires (or whatever the fastest race tires are these days)

...but isn't that bike something like $2,000? Why be cheap now? If I had your bike, I'd just go all the way and bling it out Zipp 808s.

going cheap now would be like putting $7 children's platform pedals on the following:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheapest tweaks for more speed:

1) set the seat height, fore-aft position correctly
2) drop the stem a cm or two
3) pedal further, pedal faster

next on the list for cheapest speed upgrades might be GP4000sII tires (or whatever the fastest race tires are these days)

...but isn't that bike something like $2,000? Why be cheap now? If I had your bike, I'd just go all the way and bling it out Zipp 808s.

going cheap now would be like putting $7 children's platform pedals on the following:

I don't intend to race, but lighter wheels will be an option later on. I will be looking at tires, maybe even the new Michelin's. Dunno anything about pedals, except at this stage, I don't want clip-ins. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
will be looking at tires, maybe even the new Michelin's. Dunno anything about pedals, except at this stage, I don't want clip-ins. :)
the michelin power comp tires are out - if the manufacturer's claims of 10 watts savings pan out, that should make them the fastest clinchers to date.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Riding that bicycle without Looks, Speedplays or Shimanos would be a waste of time if you are on the other hand discussing tweaks. Have you ridden clipless?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Riding that bicycle without Looks, Speedplays or Shimanos would be a waste of time if you are on the other hand discussing tweaks. Have you ridden clipless?
Right now, I just want pedals that don't look like Walmart El Cheapos. As I get more accustomed to the bike, then I'll think about better pedals.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
You're wanting cheap tweaks and you don't ride with clipless pedals?

Put in some saddle time and come back in a month. Or pick up the newest issue of Bicycling Magazine.

Clipless pedals and shoes aren't a cheap tweak, but that's a major tweak and one that will make a significant difference.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're wanting cheap tweaks and you don't ride with clipless pedals?

Put in some saddle time and come back in a month. Or pick up the newest issue of Bicycling Magazine.

Clipless pedals and shoes aren't a cheap tweak, but that's a major tweak and one that will make a significant difference.
I'm not ready for stuff like that yet AND I'm not gonna be racing.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks, I'll file that one. Given the shapes of these saddles, comfort is SUPER important. :)
I feel you and trust me.. It is! There are other alternatives to the SLR Superflow that is the SMPs, but can't get into TT position with these. Plus they are heavier.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Why you would pay that much for a bike like that and then not even run clipless pedals is beyond me. You have to be afraid of them.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Not a mod for the bike, but an aero helmet like the Giro Synthe should help with speed. Far cheaper than getting the 808 NSW.

Just realized that a set of 808 NSW cost mire than your current complete bike.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Just dial in your bike fit. Most experienced roadies will already have preferences for saddle and pedals and often handlebars, so those are often the first thing to get changed on a new bike, but if you don't, then just ride.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts