Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've also just picked one of these awesome road bike up. However, since this is my first road bike I have nothing to compare it to. Just completed a 70k ride yesterday and it was great! I'm loving my ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Specs are wrong on 2009 Madone 4.7

I just purchased a Trek Madone 4.7 from my LBS. I wanted one of the 2008 4.5s (they were selling them for $1900) but they couldn't find a 60cm. They could only get the 2009 4.5 for $2400. They said they could order a 60cm 2009 4.7 for $2600. When I asked about the difference, the LBS owner showed me the Trek website. The spec on the 4.7 was (and still is) full Ultegra SL, so I ordered it.

I picked the bike up last night (planning for a final fitting tonight) and discovered Ultegra components on the bike, not Ultegra SL. I asked what was up with that and the LBS guy doubled checked the website and sure enough, the spec was Ultegra SL. Trek was closed by this time, but he called his local Trek rep and the rep said the spec was SUPPOSED to be Ultegra, but they hadn't updated the website yet.

I told the LBS that I knew it wasn't his fault (because Trek is lame about customizing a bike build), but this had to be fixed. I purchased a 4.7 according to the spec on the website (FULL ULTEGRA SL). I told him there are 3 options:

1) Send me an Ultegra SL 4.7 (and we'll exchange bikes) or send the Ultegra SL parts and upgrade my bike to what I purchased.

2) Send me a Madone 5.2 for an even swap (this is a long shot, but worth trying).

3) Keep the bike (and the pedals) and give me my money back. I've been seriously considering a Immortal Spirit (full carbon/Dura-Ace for $2000 online).

Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between Ultegra and Ultegra SL if I were blind-folded, but it is over $200 in difference. I'm waiting until tonight's fitting to give them time to figure out what they want to do. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't think my Ultegra components have the SL name on them, but the color and size of the logos definately shows them to be SL. Are you sure this isn't the case? The SL have bigger logos and are a dark gray. The non-SL pieces are a shinier metallic color and have a small logo.

edit, by the way the Trek site claims a $2799 MSRP on the 4.7. If you got yours for $2600 and non-SL, that could represent the price difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, these are definitely Ultegra, not the SL. They are bright shiny metal instead of the gunmetal gray like the SL. Also, the Trek rep (according to the bike shop guy) said that the 4.7 was supposed to be spec'd with Ultegra. You have to buy a 5.2 to get the Ultegra SL components. At any rate, I should have more info in about 90 minutes...heading over to the LBS tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Extremely disappointed

Wow, I'm simply amazed at the fact that any company can stay in business when they have absolute zero customer service. I stopped into the LBS tonight to find out what they learned from Trek about the 4.7 spec issue. Trek stands by their Ultegra spec end of story. The LBS guy had the audacity to ask if I wanted to see the dealer website!

I'll tell you all what I told him. I worked in IT for 8 years doing websites and I could update the Trek consumer website with the correct 4.7 specs faster than anyone on this forum could change a derailleur. There is simply no excuse for Trek to not market what they are actually selling. Nevermind the fact that the LBS owner told me the difference between the 4.5 and the 4.7 was the Ultegra SL. They (the LBS and Trek) apparently want me to accept the fact that I am not getting what I was told I was purchasing!!! Again, Ultegra vs. Ultegra SL will make zero difference to my biking performance (they're mere grams difference), but it's principle and overall value of the bike (the upgrade from Ultegra to Ultegra SL is over $200).

I have to wait for the LBS owner to come back into town on Monday. I left the bike with them. I don't want possession of it and I certainly don't want to ride it. What a huge disappointment in my Trek experience. Regardless of what happens, I can guarantee that I will NEVER purchase another Trek product and I'm going to make sure everyone I know hears the story. I'm sitting here out $2800 and have no new bike to ride.

Ok, I have to go have a beer and chill, because I'm just fuming hot right now. I'll post an update when I hear more (Monday). The LBS will likely end up with a 4.7 and pedals back on the shelf. Could someone tell me again why I should be dealing locally, paying a higher price, and paying taxes on that higher price? I'm beginning to think the QR Seduza for $2k is a much better deal. :mad2:

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
If I've got the sequence of events right, it seems that your LBS misspoke about the 2009 4.7 specs. Rather than contacting Trek and getting confirmation that all the bikes on the website were '09's, he assumed they were.

If you've followed the Madone line at all, you would have known that all of the Madones now up on the website are '09's - mostly because of color changes. The 4.5 is an '09 as well, but the 4.7 is (as you now know) an '08.

I don't see where Trek is misrepresenting their product, but I do see where the LBS assumed something they shouldn't have. Beyond that, all prices except for the 4.7 have gone up a fair amount. This should have served to tip off your LBS that it wasn't an 09.

All water under the bridge, as they say. But I would think that the LBS should share some of the burden here and swap out the Ultegra components for SL - at a nominal fee. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That 4.7 might be an 08 model. Same color as '09 4.7, but Ultegra instead of Ultegra SL. I'd check that again with your LBS.

MSRP difference between 2009 4.5 and 4.7 according to their website = $ 330. Considering the actual sale price in the stores it will be less. You won't get an Ultegra Crank, Brakeset, F/R Derailleur etc for that price, not taking in account the labor cost to mount the suff if you can't do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
What did you end up paying? At first you mentioned $2600, but now you mention $2800. What did you pay on the bike pre-tax? After you know that, ask your LBS what year the bike is. If they say it is an 09 and you paid an 09 price, you MUST get 09 specs. You will have to take it into your own hands to confirm the specs. A site can be wrong, it is possible that they included the wrong specs. If they say it is an 09 but you paid an 08 price, you may have just gotten an 08. You should tell them they are wrong, tell them where to shove it, take the bike home and enjoy it.

I say that as long as you got what you paid for (and it isn't cleared what you paid for and the amount you paid), you should be happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got a call from the LBS. They contacted the LBS owner and he will make things right. I can see where he should have checked with his Trek rep and/or checked his dealer Trek website. I have an '09 Madone; that's what the LBS owner pitched to me and noted that the 4.7 prices didn't jump like the other madone models...and he told me I was buying a 2009 madone with Ultegra SL.

At any rate, I'm more impressed with the LBS owner and his stand behind his customers than I am with Trek. Hats off to Rockford Bicycle Company and their superb service. As for Trek...well, they just need to get their act together.

In all, with Ultegra or Ultegra SL, the Madone 4.7 is a great bike and rides even better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Final Outcome - Trek is a Zero

Well, Trek is an absolute ZERO for customer service. They basically did nothing to make the situation right. I can tell you now, I will never buy another Trek because of their complete disregard for the customer. They have since updated their website to reflect the Ultegra (not Ultegra SL) components on the 4.7 and simply washed their hands of any responsibility as a manufacturer. Perhaps this is why Trek is rarely considered as a serious bike manufacturer.

The LBS went out of their way to help. Rockford Bicycle Company in Rockford, IL actually tried to make things right by upgrading the pedals to Ultegra pedals and adding a carbon cage for no extra charge. I just got fitted on the bike last night. I did take it out Saturday for 60 miles and the bike rides very well.

I received a couple PMs for pics, so I'll try to snap some shots and upload photos this week. Let me know if there are any close-ups you have your heart set on.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
jpryor said:
Well, Trek is an absolute ZERO for customer service. They basically did nothing to make the situation right. I can tell you now, I will never buy another Trek because of their complete disregard for the customer. They have since updated their website to reflect the Ultegra (not Ultegra SL) components on the 4.7 and simply washed their hands of any responsibility as a manufacturer. Perhaps this is why Trek is rarely considered as a serious bike manufacturer.
Are you kidding me? Trek has one of the best reputations of all bike companies, large and small, with respect to customer service. It is often the primary reason behind a sale to someone who would not otherwise consider a Trek, simply because their customer service is that good. This is the model they built through their network of LBS's. They enjoy many long time customers, and are also considered to be a great place to work too, FWIW.

As to your second comment: Why, may I ask, did you even initially consider purchasing a $2600 bike from a company that is "rarely considered as a serious bike manufacturer?" This just doesn't make any sense

Please, you are emotional because of a perceived injustice. The outfits on any bike are subject to change, and as you state there is almost no difference between Ultegra and SL other than a few grams and color. Sounds like you got taken care of by your LBS, which is the way it is supposed to happen. That is Trek's front end.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.