Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was stolen so looking to replace. Was insured, so I'm not that stressed about the difference of a few hundred bucks. I don't race- I do sometimes group ride, and tend to be on the bike a good amount in the summer for rides 45-60 miles. I rode a steel Kelly before and am thinking I would like to go with a Trek OCLV this time around. I have been fit on both the Madone SL and 5200 and plan to go for extended test rides within the next wk or so. Not a fan of the shaped tubing, so would proabably stick with 5.2 SL.

Feel like Ultegra is the right place to be for me. I could get a lesser frame and nicer components, but don't think that is the right move. I don't see a huge advantage for dura ace for how I ride.

Assuming fit is similar, is the Madone that much better? Or, is it just the next thing? I would probably swap out a few parts (such as saddle) on either, and maybe fr. derailleur.

Thanks,

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
I have a friend who rides a 2005 Madone SL 5.2. I'm personally not fond of Trek, but it is a decent bike. The shaped tubes are minimal on the SL 5.2, as it lacks the hokey seat tube fin and the funny downtube bump found on the standard Madone 5.2. I don't see any reason why you would need to go with the 5200 over the SL 5.2, but either will most likely satisfy you. Why bother going on an extended test ride? I don't think you'll be dissatisfied riding either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Madone

teleguy03 said:
Bike was stolen so looking to replace. Was insured, so I'm not that stressed about the difference of a few hundred bucks. I don't race- I do sometimes group ride, and tend to be on the bike a good amount in the summer for rides 45-60 miles. I rode a steel Kelly before and am thinking I would like to go with a Trek OCLV this time around. I have been fit on both the Madone SL and 5200 and plan to go for extended test rides within the next wk or so. Not a fan of the shaped tubing, so would proabably stick with 5.2 SL.

Feel like Ultegra is the right place to be for me. I could get a lesser frame and nicer components, but don't think that is the right move. I don't see a huge advantage for dura ace for how I ride.

Assuming fit is similar, is the Madone that much better? Or, is it just the next thing? I would probably swap out a few parts (such as saddle) on either, and maybe fr. derailleur.

Thanks,[/QUOTE
I found the ride of the Madone much more responsive over the 5200. I've had my 5.2 since Nov 05 and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have one of each (sort of)

According to the Trek website, the geometries for the Madone and the 5200 are the same for each frame size, so it all boils down to materials and components.

My first Trek is a '92 model 5200, so it has the "old" OCLV 150 frame. My newer Trek is an '06 Madone 5.9 SL. Not exactly the same comparison you're making, but you can generalize a bit. For me, the two both ride equally firm, but the Madone does seem quicker, probably due to the lighter frame, fork, and wheels. If the 800 dollar difference doesn't faze you too much, I'd go with the Madone. But either would probably suit you well.

I agree with going with Ultegra; I have the 10-speed group on my 5200, and it compares very nicely with Dura Ace performance-wise. BTW, the front derailleur has worked very well for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts