Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I know right! My prediction is coming true! OCLV 55 will be used in the lower end bikes and I no longer will ahve to drop 3K on a frame not to mention Bontrager coming out with 3 sets of new carbon clinchers whhhaaa hooooo0!

One year after the SSLs release they are selling for 4K for full bikes on ebay. What a frign bargain =)

Sub 900 gram fame on the 6.9 is unbelievable! My 52cm will be like 850 grams!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
yes sir - They will have the 60mm deep clinchers in around 1700 grams; 50mm deep clinchers in around 145--1500grams; and then the low profil at 1340grams which may have a new hub - all carbon all clinchers with sexy graphics. Should be noted that the fairing on the deep dish clinchers are fairly fragile compared to say Zipps but that isnt saying much since the Zipp clinchers are tougher than the Zipp tubulars by ALOT but the reverse is true on Bontragers end. The low profile XXX are tough indeed and very well built but only with a one year warr. I would expect though Bontrager service to be equal to Zipp

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
typical Trek Madone setup

PeatD said:
Look at all those spacers...what a n00b! ;)
Lance had a lot of spacers for a pro-rider, looks like 20mm at least. Never stopped him. 8^)

Trek Madone and their 5000-series (and other road bikes they make?) have odd tube lengths, they have short seat tubes and short head tubes and long top tubes. This often results in either a short-ish stem or larger frame or a regular/long-ish stem and a lot of spacers. Unless you have short legs and long upper body and long arms, of course.

Given pro-riders typically pick the smallest frame they can fit on they end up with long stems and more spacers than other brands they might ride. Lance used a regular 110mm stem (at least last year he did) on 58cm Madone and what looked like from a photo ~20mm or 25mm of spacers and -5 degree stem. I am sure this made him slooooow 8^). I think if he stayed on (given this years doping scandal) he would have won #8 due to lack of competition. But I digress.

Very high percentage of Madone and 5000-series riders I see on the roads have both a lot of spacers and flipped up stems. Myself included! Looks goofy. I have 30mm of spacers and a zero-degree 100mm stem on my 54cm Madone. It does look rather odd but does not seem to slow me (or anyone else) down! Anyone seen Floyd Landis on prologue this year? Aero-Bars much higher than anyone else and he still did ok in ~top 5. I think being "low" is over-rated on flat and hilly roads. Being narrow is more important for aero-dynamics riding at ~50kmh (~25-30mph) and under. Being comfortable is the key.

·
pinoy thunder
342 Posts
Good points there acid.

I seem to have very odd body proportions as I have a 120mm, 10 degree flipped down stem with zero spacers on my Trek.

You really have to watch the TT length when buying a Trek. Also, the STA is tricky to measure because the seat tube extends slightly in front of the BB. I think the seat tube position gives these bikes their characteristic smoothness, though.

I really hope that the new 6.9 frame is stiffer than current offerings, especially the BB area.

·
Type1Rider.org
16 Posts
madone 6.9 Ad on OLN

There was an ad on OLN at 9:14pm during tonights coverage "brought to you by the Madone 6.9". The ad features 3 Pyrenees mountain stage highlites starring Lance.

After the video of Lance just crushing the mountains on those 3 stages, the 6.9 appears and the voice overlay says "brought to you by Trek bicycles new Madone SSL 6.9. Sub 900 gram OCLV carbon frame equipped with Bontrager wheelworks and components."

I went to the Trek site, but didn't see anything mentioned.

I guess it will be available soon?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
dont count on it before late fall. Besides buying a Trek new these days is like buying a car new form the dealer. You get hosed. As some as you spin off the lot its worth 2-3 thousand dollars less. Find it on ebay in 6 months over the winter for 40% off

5.9SSL 2006 on ebay for 4500$

not to mention production at Trek is fairly slow these days

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I had bought my Madone 5.2 off the floor room. I don't think I have spacers. It appears to fit just right.

Wouldn't a 58 cm be too big for Lance? I went with a 56cm.

acid_rider said:
Lance had a lot of spacers for a pro-rider, looks like 20mm at least. Never stopped him. 8^)

Trek Madone and their 5000-series (and other road bikes they make?) have odd tube lengths, they have short seat tubes and short head tubes and long top tubes. This often results in either a short-ish stem or larger frame or a regular/long-ish stem and a lot of spacers. Unless you have short legs and long upper body and long arms, of course.

Given pro-riders typically pick the smallest frame they can fit on they end up with long stems and more spacers than other brands they might ride. Lance used a regular 110mm stem (at least last year he did) on 58cm Madone and what looked like from a photo ~20mm or 25mm of spacers and -5 degree stem. I am sure this made him slooooow 8^). I think if he stayed on (given this years doping scandal) he would have won #8 due to lack of competition. But I digress.

Very high percentage of Madone and 5000-series riders I see on the roads have both a lot of spacers and flipped up stems. Myself included! Looks goofy. I have 30mm of spacers and a zero-degree 100mm stem on my 54cm Madone. It does look rather odd but does not seem to slow me (or anyone else) down! Anyone seen Floyd Landis on prologue this year? Aero-Bars much higher than anyone else and he still did ok in ~top 5. I think being "low" is over-rated on flat and hilly roads. Being narrow is more important for aero-dynamics riding at ~50kmh (~25-30mph) and under. Being comfortable is the key.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Cervelo is the new Trek now.

CARBON110 said:
dont count on it before late fall. Besides buying a Trek new these days is like buying a car new form the dealer. You get hosed. As some as you spin off the lot its worth 2-3 thousand dollars less. Find it on ebay in 6 months over the winter for 40% off

5.9SSL 2006 on ebay for 4500$

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
CARBON110 said:
elviento how is Cervelo the new Trek? Not that I disagree or agree just wondering what makes you see it that way?
from the countless TDF commercials they show I'd say.

·
Registered
401 Posts
CARBON110 said:
Virtually all of those "deals" are scams. Buyer beware...

CARBON110 said:
Do you have data or a source to back that claim up, or are you just blindly bashing the company?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I've bought plenty of Treks off ebay with great luck although I know there are some real scams. I got jacked on an Easton bar last year and some fool bought a pair of carbon wheels from me with his CC and called me up to get his money back since he was out of work. We worked it out fine though

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I don't understand...

why Trek has such short head tubes. Every other MFR. is going the other way and trek is going backwards. Heck, I don't know how you could not use spacers or even a flipped up stem. I've yet to see a Trek Madone with no spacers and a flat stem. Everyone I know that has a madone has a up turned stem and alot of spacers. Just doesn't make since. :confused:

I've got a friend that just got what is now the top of the line Madone with the carbon clinchers. Personally, I'd never pay 10K for a trek, I'd be hard pressed to pay 3K with as much other stuff that is out there. I've got an Orbea Opal that I think is much more unique with Record that I built up for 4K.

The guy BTW does like his new Madone, but then again, he still doesn't know how to change a tire. To much $$$ to know what to do with.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I just read this book on lance armstrong, one line it said he didn't like the madone,
also there was a construction error on on of his bikes (wrong size fork installed),
plus there was hincapie's fork crash. if trek can't even build their bikes correctly for the pros, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying it. and like Mosovich says, their head tube length is weird,and price is high.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.