Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks , is anyone else having problembs with cables rattling on or in their new trek madone frame?, also is the plastic sleve that runs inside the top tube supposed to be removed or not? :confused:

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks disney , i'm pretty sure my Lbs has removed the plastic sleve that runs inside of the top tube , i'm having problems with cable rattle .

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have the clear plastic tube removed from my 08 Madone I was told that it was used for cable routing and not for permanent installation. Also did you install the little rub stickers on your frame under the cables. My owners manual came with a sheet of clear decals with the new Trek logo on them or ones that said Madone on them to stick on to the frame.

Dennis

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have noticed some bike shops are crossing the cables on the down tube. This can put the cables against the frame and cause them to rattle. My bike rattles on every bump, and I put frame tape on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The crossing of the cables on the downtube is deliberate by the factory and is for a reason( more relaxed cable bend!), although some appear to have been strung straight. My cables came factory crossed. Does not rub against the other cable so no problem.

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi folks thanks for the replys, Disney i don't have the rubber bungs on my frame where the cable goes in and out of the top tube, i'm having a nightmare of a problem with my back brake caliper not releasing properly, i have replaced the inners and outer cabling, i have eliminated ragged ends on the outers , i have greased the inners, and i have narrowed the problem down to the top tube entry and exit of the cable , this is where there seems to be resistance on the inner cable, Big question where do the rubber bungs go ? is there a rubber bung at the front opening and rear exit ? do i need the plastic inner cable sleve re-installed ? My caliper is working fine i took it apart and greased it up.

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi SuperHawk ,I never got stickers with my frame, do they help eliminate the cable rattle ? my gear cables are crossed .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Joker,

(sounds like Full metal jacket) Anyway they should have been in the bag that was on your bike with the owners manual. The stickers make sure that the cable housings to not mar or rub the clearcoat on the frame. I found mine when I registered my bike with Trek.
They also might help with the rattle a little bit.

Also did you guys bet the 2008 New Madone Assembly booklets with your bike? It shows how to run the cables in the top tube and all of that stuff. It also talks abou the bottom bracket and the headset.

Dennis

·
Registered
84 Posts
The in-line barrel adjusters clattered together around the headset on my Madone. Thought the worst must be the new improved headset,finally reasoned it through, taped them together w/electrical tape, problem solved,that was the only rattle I had (5.5 Pro). Now the SRAM red cassette that loosens itself and sounds like a bad bottom bracket...another thought the worst problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here are some pics of my bike with the stickers installed you also get some madone stickers which I have put 2 of them on my bike. Also my cables are not crossed. In the second to last picture you can see how big the 28 tooth rear sprocket is on my bike. I had the shop install a Sram 1070 rear cassette with an 11-28 rear cassette so I have basically the same gearing as a triple. We have some nice size hills here in northern cali!

Later Dennis

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nice pic Dennis , i would like to know where the little rubber bungs go in the top tube opening, anyone got instructions on this ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There should be an insert where the cables enter and exit the frame and all the cables should not have ragged ends. Have a look at some close up pics of the madone by googling a review, this will show you how it should be. Did you get a Friday pm bike build as these come from the factory virtually completely set up to go. I saw mine unwrapped to be fitted to me and then for a test ride etc.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 08 5.5 came with factory installed clear plastic stickers where all the cables would rub on the frame. They are clear and don't have the Madone logo on them. I also got the package of stickers with my bike. I have used the seat post sticker to protect the seat post from the velcro strap on my seat bag.

The only problem I have right now is getting the shifting tuned in. I have the front working pretty well now but the rear has trouble shifting into the larger gears. My LBS didn't do a very good job of Oh, and 2 other things I noticed. In the small, small gear combination the chain rubs on the inside of the large front gear. Also in the large, large combination the chain is right up tight against the bottom of the large gear in back. The derailure roller gear is pushing up against the chain which is pushing up against the bottom of the largest gear. Doesn't really cause a problem but makes some noise. Anybody else notice these 2 things? Neither one I would consider a big deal.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just a couple of things. I have noticed.

1) You should have a rubber stopper (small rubber "cork" with a center hole) in your package. This should be installed on the front derailleur cable as it exits the top of the Bottom Bracket shell. This helps keep water out of the shell and keeps the cable from rubbing the carbon.

2) The very small hex bolts holding in the cable stops on the internally routed rear brake cable on the Top Tube are not metric (at least on my machine, they were American Standard...I don't recall the size.). You need to take at least the rear one off to feed the brake cable through the frame. Use tweezers/small needle nose pliers to pull out the cable.

3) The supplied frame protectors (clear stickies) do not work very well. Instead use a small piece of electrical tape at the two derailleur cables as they touch the Head Tube. At the rear brake cable as it exits the rear internal holder. At the rear drive side chain stay, near the drop out.

4) As to rattling, if you find you are getting excessive rattling of your cables, shorten them. They come from the factory with (IMO) excessive cable housing on the front end. While you need to be careful here, You may easily take several inches off all the cables. I was able to do this, as I like a tight setup (YMMV), and certainly get no rattling. Crossing the FD/RD cables at the HT helps with tight bends here.

HTH
zac

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
andyaa said:
My 08 5.5 came with factory installed clear plastic stickers where all the cables would rub on the frame. They are clear and don't have the Madone logo on them. I also got the package of stickers with my bike. I have used the seat post sticker to protect the seat post from the velcro strap on my seat bag.

The only problem I have right now is getting the shifting tuned in. I have the front working pretty well now but the rear has trouble shifting into the larger gears. My LBS didn't do a very good job of Oh, and 2 other things I noticed. In the small, small gear combination the chain rubs on the inside of the large front gear. Also in the large, large combination the chain is right up tight against the bottom of the large gear in back. The derailure roller gear is pushing up against the chain which is pushing up against the bottom of the largest gear. Doesn't really cause a problem but makes some noise. Anybody else notice these 2 things? Neither one I would consider a big deal.
You should not be using the small/small and the large/large combos anyway. Too much stress on the chain and the drivetrain in general. Not to say you can't run them in a pinch, but you should get in the habit of avoiding them. In fact map out your gear inches for you particular set up and you will probably find some overlap at those extremes rendering those gears redundant.

HTH
zac

·
35mph Average
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi folks just to let you all know i've fixed the problem , the outer cable needed to be pushed around the bend of the frame housing, my local lbs and me never had it pushed in far enough resulting in severe cable drag .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts