Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Just a couple of things. I have noticed.

1) You should have a rubber stopper (small rubber "cork" with a center hole) in your package. This should be installed on the front derailleur cable as it exits the top of the Bottom Bracket shell. This helps keep water out of the shell and keeps the cable from rubbing the carbon.

2) The very small hex bolts holding in the cable stops on the internally routed rear brake cable on the Top Tube are not metric (at least on my machine, they were American Standard...I don't recall the size.). You need to take at least the rear one off to feed the brake cable through the frame. Use tweezers/small needle nose pliers to pull out the cable.

3) The supplied frame protectors (clear stickies) do not work very well. Instead use a small piece of electrical tape at the two derailleur cables as they touch the Head Tube. At the rear brake cable as it exits the rear internal holder. At the rear drive side chain stay, near the drop out.

4) As to rattling, if you find you are getting excessive rattling of your cables, shorten them. They come from the factory with (IMO) excessive cable housing on the front end. While you need to be careful here, You may easily take several inches off all the cables. I was able to do this, as I like a tight setup (YMMV), and certainly get no rattling. Crossing the FD/RD cables at the HT helps with tight bends here.

HTH
zac

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
andyaa said:
My 08 5.5 came with factory installed clear plastic stickers where all the cables would rub on the frame. They are clear and don't have the Madone logo on them. I also got the package of stickers with my bike. I have used the seat post sticker to protect the seat post from the velcro strap on my seat bag.

The only problem I have right now is getting the shifting tuned in. I have the front working pretty well now but the rear has trouble shifting into the larger gears. My LBS didn't do a very good job of Oh, and 2 other things I noticed. In the small, small gear combination the chain rubs on the inside of the large front gear. Also in the large, large combination the chain is right up tight against the bottom of the large gear in back. The derailure roller gear is pushing up against the chain which is pushing up against the bottom of the largest gear. Doesn't really cause a problem but makes some noise. Anybody else notice these 2 things? Neither one I would consider a big deal.
You should not be using the small/small and the large/large combos anyway. Too much stress on the chain and the drivetrain in general. Not to say you can't run them in a pinch, but you should get in the habit of avoiding them. In fact map out your gear inches for you particular set up and you will probably find some overlap at those extremes rendering those gears redundant.

HTH
zac

1 - 2 of 2 Posts