Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a truck to put my bike in to take it to the shop for repairs. I have a small car now so getting the bike to the shop is considerably more difficult. I have a Trek Navigator 200. The chain is slipping and not staying in certain gears. What can I do?

Thanks
Ron

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Replace the chain first, if it still slips replace the cassette. You can buy a lockring removing tool and a chainwhip and take off the cassette. You don't need the chainwhip to install a new cassette. Or you can just take the wheel itself to your LBS and have them replace the cassette if the new chain does not fix the problem. You will need a chain tool to cut off a couple of links. Cut the chain to the same length as you old chain.

On occasion, when I have broken down on the road and called my wife. We could get my bike in her car (compact) if I took off the wheels. Just be careful of grease. Frame in truck, wheels on back floor. If you don't feel comfortable about doing the work yourself...

Hope this helps.

· Registered
2,002 Posts
Is the chain slipping when you shift or are you staying in certain gears when it slips? You may want to further describe what you mean by slipping. You could possibly be describing a shifter cable tension issue or a stiff link in your chain. Does your foot go forward suddenly and does it stay in the same gear or does the chain go to another gear?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.