Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have recently decided to buy a new roadbike. I want to spend max. of about $1500 on the best bike possible. I'll may do some touring to the interior sometime (I live in BC on the west coast).

The problem is my LBS only sells Trek and Giant, so I can't buy any Specialized, Felt, or anything else. :(

Thanks!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Both brands are good. You may be more limited as far as touring though. Make sure the bikes you look at have the capability of using racks and what not if you are planning on going for more than one day. One poster here will immediately tell you to buy online or Ebay if he sees your post, and he will also tell you that Trek and Giant are the same as every other Taiwain bike, but in reality there can be some real differences in how they feel and ride. Try them out, if you still don't like your options then you can look at stuff online, ebay, or in other towns. I wish I could recommend a bike in your price range, but I don't have a lot of experience in those brands. I'd look at the Giant OCR to begin with. For day long touring it may be a little more comfortable. Not sure how much the Trek Pilot goes for but might be worth looking at also. Ride everything they have in your size and see what you like. Make sure they take the time to do a preliminary sizing on you before you ride out. Good luck!

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Cycler64 said:
Hello,
I have recently decided to buy a new roadbike. I want to spend max. of about $1500 on the best bike possible. I'll may do some touring to the interior sometime (I live in BC on the west coast).

The problem is my LBS only sells Trek and Giant, so I can't buy any Specialized, Felt, or anything else. :(

Thanks!
Find a different LBS? You shouldn't limit yourself to just two brands simply because the closest bike shop only stocks those two. Pick a bike that fits you best and then pick a friendly bike shop with good customer service. You'll have more overall problems at a good bike shop and a $1500 bike you do NOT like than you will have at a mediocre bike shop and a $1500 bike you DO like.

$1500 is a lot of money, so don't buy something with which you aren't completely satisfied.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
if you're really stuck between trek & giant and want the most bike that youy can get for 1,500$ then the giant is the way to go.

whether it fits well, or not, is another question :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Where in BC?

Where do you live in BC? It may worth a trip to another town to see what selection they might have. If you're interested in touring primarily, it may be difficult to find a touring-specific bike in a shop with limited selection.

I live in Victoria. I found that local prices are very high, and were much higher than American retailer prices, even considering the exchange. For this reason, I ultimately bought on-line, but this was after two years of regularly riding on a used bike I bought for $250, as well as incessant research and a number of test rides.

But if you're completely new to this, you're likely to be better off with a local bike shop (LBS), who (hopefully) can provide adequate information on fit, and provide adequate maintenance.

I personally think that Giant has a slight value edge over Trek, but they're so close that if you must choose between these brands, you should pick what fits/feels best to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're looking to tour, don't look at the TCR. If looking at Giant, look at the OCR for a more relaxed geometry. I have a TCR 2 (composite) and honestly can't imagine touring with it. It's more race bred. I'm also liking older steel bikes for comfortable, long ride, durable rides. Building up a older Colnago Master X Light and riding a Merckx. I guess the best answer is there are lots of other options than the "trek or giant" route. Travel outside your area a bit and ride everything you can. Try aluminum (stiff), carbon (more $ but better ride than Alu in many cases) and try some steel. Lots of different geometries also. $1500 is a good amount to spend a get a really good bike. Just don't limit yourself and take your time. thats my 2 cents. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.