Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I came looking for advice, searched and couldn't answer my own question.

Wife and I are approaching 50, house is getting empty and we would like to start riding to A) lose some weight, B) build some endurance, C) enjoy the local (within state) scenery.

Pleasure riding I guess you would call it---mostly on paved roads,,,possibly venturing onto a hard pack rock/gravel from time to time,,,,not many hills in Northern MN---as in mountain biking kind of stuff, some slopes yes but not mountain biking.

Last bike which we find uncomfortable were 1981 Schwinn Travelers ----the leaning forward part is no longer comfortable (could that be the beer belly?). And the tiny tires don't work well unless on a perfect asphalt road with no cracks/voids.

We looked a Walmart---anything from $89-350---but we don't know alot about what to look for. We did test ride some TREK brand at a local resort that uses them to loan out to guest and learned some likes/dislikes----we certainly like the sitting "up" position better, also found it seems like the "wheelbase" changes on certain models and we like the long wheelbase better.

We feel (compared to the current Schwinn Travelers) that sitting up is a plus, which requires higher handlebars, we need a decently "wide" seat for our already "padded" butts, not sure but I read the length of the arms on the pedals comes into play here also.

We are looking for suggestions on how to pick a "right bike" for getting back into this.

An option we have is any TREK for 40% off MSRP, this could help alot---as far as budget, certainly under a grand each--and we will keep it high enough to be comfortable.

If this is in the wrong forum please move it---and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dan

P.S. Add to this the brakes,,,,should (for our use) we care much about disk brakes as opposed to the old fashion squeeze the wheel type?

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
You are joining an increasing number of folks riding bikes for health and wellness, congrats. You don't have to be a complete bike nut like some some folks here on RBR to really enjoy cycling. Now on to your question. First let me give you a disclaimer that this is only my 2 cents worth but I hope you find it at least a little helpful. You really won't get too much advice from the forum on getting a bike from Walmart. There is almost NO service there. No one will help you get the bike you are looking for in the size you need and help fit you for it. If there is a problem with the bike no one at the store will be able to help, adjust, or fix the bike. Just starting out again I would highly recommend going to a local bike shop for your bikes. There are several new bike lines out there for all the major and some minor bike companies designed to do exactly what you are looking for. I recommend visiting several shops, see what they have to offer and how the service is. Generally most shops will be there after the sale for help with any issues with the bike. Agian just my 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Never shop for a bike at Wal Mart

Here's the thing. At Wal-Mart, (or toys r us, or sears, target, or any other non-cycle-oriented shop) the bike assemblers are paid by the bike. At a bike shop, the mechanics are paid by the hour.

What does that mean?

A department store bike has just been thrown together and put on the floor. For the guy who's doing the assembly, the more units he can get assembled and out onto the floor, the more money he makes. So the less work he does on each, the better it is, for him. Half the time, they don't even put air in the tires. No adjustments have been made, and little if any safety checks. The last time I bought a bike at Wal-mart, I was in my early 20s, broke, and needed a way around. So I bought the bike, and bought a wrench, and a screwdriver, and a few other assorted tools, and I rode the bike for a block, and adjusted the brakes. Another block, and adjusted something else. Another block, and tightened this down... et al. A few weeks later I went for a ride and got very sore... turns out the seat was 1/4" of foam on a metal plate. Not exactly the quality and long-ride comfort I was looking for. I don't know if they're still like that, but I was less than impressed.

Then, a few years later, I worked at a "real" bike shop. We were paid by the hour to "do it right." The parts came out of the box. The wheels were trued and tensioned before going on the frame. Brakes were adjusted. Shifters were checked and adjusted. Seatpost was greased, to keep it from seizing up in the seat tube over time. Skewers were greased to keep them in good order, and so on, and so forth. In other words, we were being paid to make sure that the bikes worked as well as possible before they left the shop. In some cases, we also made alterations, if the customer has requests. (grip shift instead of trigger shift, for instance, or other things.) And most shops will also offer a 6 week tune-up, to make sure the bike is STILL running right, after being on the road for a while.

Bike fit is very important, and if you found something that's comfy and works for you, that's great. But functionality down the road is also important, and it's helpful to have a standing relationship with the shop you bought the bike from. They survive on their reputation, whereas wal mart and their ilk survive on their ability to push as many bikes out the door as possible.

On top of that, department stores have the bikes spec'd to have a higher profit margin. Schwinn (no longer a premium brand) pacific, magna, and others... get by on selling aas many bikes as they can to places like wal mart. Trek and their subsidiaries (fisher, lemond) as well as other premium brands like Specialized, make their living on their reputation, and their bikes are generally spec'd to be better bikes. There's a range, as there is in everything. But I think you'll find that a Trek, bought from a good bike shop, will treat you much better than a department store bike, bought from a department store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what you have described I would recommend looking at some Townies. They are super comfortable and would meet your needs. The bottom bracket if moved forward which puts you in a much more upright position. Check em out!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I suggest you save a whole lot of money by doing this

Mechanically, how are the Schwinn Travelers? If solid and you want to change your positioning on the bike to something more upright, buy a Nitto Technomic stem, about $40. It is designed to bring the bar height up so that it is level with the seat, it is a longer neck quill stem, get the correct length. Find a saddle that fits your back side like a Brooks B17, have the old bikes cleaned and tuned. Perhaps put bar end shifters on for a more comfortable position to shift.

From what you describe you want to do with the bikes, no need to go buy new when the old just needs a few fit parts replaced.

Brakes? replace your pads on the Schwinns with Koolstop salmon colored pads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
Mechanically, how are the Schwinn Travelers? If solid and you want to change your positioning on the bike to something more upright, buy a Nitto Technomic stem, about $40. It is designed to bring the bar height up so that it is level with the seat, it is a longer neck quill stem, get the correct length. Find a saddle that fits your back side like a Brooks B17, have the old bikes cleaned and tuned. Perhaps put bar end shifters on for a more comfortable position to shift.

From what you describe you want to do with the bikes, no need to go buy new when the old just needs a few fit parts replaced.

Brakes? replace your pads on the Schwinns with Koolstop salmon colored pads.

Condition of the old is "as new" (can you say demonstrator models?) ----they truely are in fantastic shape, the biggest problem we forsee is the tiny tires, the seats (one has been replaced with a better one already) and I will look into that stem now. Back to the tires, whats the possible options for fatter tires?

Thanks for the replies so far

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I saw some inexpensive ones at Sun and Ski, and at decent prices. Larger tires and wheels make the ride smoother, but you put more effort into pedaling. Lighter tires means less effort, but a rougher ride. Demo ride the bikes before you buy!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
27" or 700?

acs55812 said:
Condition of the old is "as new" (can you say demonstrator models?) ----they truely are in fantastic shape, the biggest problem we forsee is the tiny tires, the seats (one has been replaced with a better one already) and I will look into that stem now. Back to the tires, whats the possible options for fatter tires?

Thanks for the replies so far
Not knowing the vintage year of your Traveler, if they are 27" you could find Continental sport 1000 tires in probably 27/1/4", those are fairly fat tires with a tread suitable for crushed limestone or chip and seal roads. Panaracer also does 27" tires in the Pasela model. 700 could get possibly as large as 32mmx 700 tires. Both those sizes are on about equal in size width and height wise.

·
Banned
519 Posts
Your local bike shop can offer some good suggestions for bike fitting, even if it's not a pro fitting job. Never underestimate how much good advice you can get from a good shop, especially if you are starting out. Nothing against Walmart bikes, but to me it sounds like you need expert help and you probably aren't going to get it at Walmart. Now, if you were more of an experienced buyer and really only wanted a junkie beater bike for commuting or something, then by all means Walmart is your friend assuming you have the tools and knowledge to adjust brakes and shifting that need to be adjusted on the new Walmart bikes. Anyway, go to the bike shop.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
If you are going to keep those bikes - go to your LBS and see what they offer in wider tires - also have them check the clearances (for wider tires) in your fork and rear seat stays and chain stays.

Don't know what kind of tires they make for 27" anymore. 32" Cross tires would be perfect for your needs

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you can get Trek's at 40% off, take that deal. Certainly they make a wide variety of bikes from which you can fine one that is comfortable.

One nice thing about a Trek at 40% off is that you could ride it awhile and then sell it and get your money out of it if you decide you want something different.

Trek's lowest end bikes will be as good, if not better, than the best you will find at Wal Mart.

·
Registered
57 Posts
99trek5200 said:
If you can get Trek's at 40% off, take that deal. Certainly they make a wide variety of bikes from which you can fine one that is comfortable.

One nice thing about a Trek at 40% off is that you could ride it awhile and then sell it and get your money out of it if you decide you want something different.

Trek's lowest end bikes will be as good, if not better, than the best you will find at Wal Mart.
Never buy any bike from Walmart. I would rather have a low end Trek than anything from that place... Even if they are made in China.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Test ride, & Buy from your Local Bike Shop...
By purchasing from your Local Shop you will have a GREAT resource for asking other questions, getting tune ups, making sure that your wife is COMFY on her ride.... (TRUST ME THAT"S a BIGGIE if you want her to continue)....

And in my opinion... Trek's Lowest end Bike will be BETTER (not even as good) as a Wal-Mart bike...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Nashbar has a solid selection of 27" tires

I would shop there. Really 27" tires may look skinny and you think they are not strong enough to handle off road stuff but they can. Really not a whole lot of difference between MTB road tires and 27"1/1/4.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I concur with the above post. If you can get Trek's at 40% off, you should pursue that. Look at the Navigator comfort bikes and I would also take a good look at a Lime and see if it's something for you. The Lime may be a "bridge too far", but worth a look.

Converting the Travellers sounds like a classy option. You'll likely want a full service bike shop to help you with that.

Scot

·
Registered
838 Posts
Understand that there are some trade-offs for sitting more upright. By shifting all the weight to the butt, instead of sharing the weight between the butt and the arms, you won't be able to comfortably ride for as far, and the wind resistance will be greater. This is not an issue if your typical ride is five miles, but will be if your typical ride is fifty miles.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Another option is Performance bike if you have one in your area. Not viewed as a LBS by many, they have some pretty decent bikes in the $300 range. In that price range I'd avoid disc brakes as they won't be top notch. They have real bike mechanics build them and you get lifetime adjustments.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
There is a huge quality and intent of use difference between buying from a box store and a local bike shop.

The item that you buy from a box store has been designed, buit, assembled and priced as a childs toy. It is going to function and last as you could expect a childs toy to.

The item that you buy from a local bike store has been designed, built, assembled and priced as a vehicle for an adult. It is going to function and last as you could expect an adults vehicle to.

Don't confuse your old Schwinn bicycles (built by the Schwinn family company) that fell into the vehicle category with the new Schwinn bicycles (built by a holding corporation) that fall into the toy category.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.