Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a recreational rider, started road riding last summer on a giant ocr 1 and wanted to switch to a wsd after test riding (I am 5'10" with a shorter torso, so the wsd works well). I am trying to decide between these two bikes. I am not planning on racing, will be putting in a lot of miles, but would like something (anything!) to help keep up with my racer fiance.
Any advice or opinions on this would be really appreciated; thank you!

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
It comes down to preference, corrected

Oops! I compared the wrong two bikes. I agree with ericm’s assessment of the 2200 and Pilot. My origional post is still below.

IMHO it comes down to your preference on frame style. The 5000 WSD looks like a “classic” design with at level top tube. The 2200 WSD is a sloping top tube design. I am sure that both would work out just fine for you given your height and leg length. If your are comfortable with more stand-over clearance (clearance between the top tube and your crotch) then go with the 2200. If you like the classic look better, go with the 5000.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
The 2200 has a racier position- the bars are lower and it looks like the top tube is longer. You will be more aerodynamic on it than on the 5.0, which looks like it is designed to be a century/sport type bike. Of course the reach and bar position is adjustable to some extent on each bike. Assuming they are set up more or less as they appear in the photos, the 2200 would be faster and the 5.0 more comfortable. As far as keeping up with your fiance the 2200 would be better unless it's uncomfortable enough for you that it makes you slow down. (keep in mind that most of what determines comfort is position on the bike, tires, and your training, not frame material)

I suggest that you ride both and see which one feels better to you.

BTW, If you like the short reach levers but the bike you like doesn't have them, Specialized sells nifty $10 stick on shims for Ultgra 9sp levers that work just as well as the $220 Shimano R600 levers.

·
Banned
476 Posts
for lots of long rides

why not consider a steel framed bike for a long term investment; and 'lots of miles'

A steel frame bike will be more comfortable while being more durable
as as you are not a racer; you may not want to replace your frame often or
give up comfort to get a little lighter bike [although there are lots of steel bikes that are lighter than the two bikes you mention]

Note; for customers who want to do lots of LONG rides - Trek offers only one Touring bike - the 520 AND it is made of steel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts