Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trek Portland Rules

I picked up a Trek Portland this week and rode for the first time today a 100K bike rally. The disc brakes drew many questions from the fellow road riders. This is my first road bike after many years of mt bikes. I rode my mt bike last weekend on a 100K bike rally and I must say the Trek Portland got the job done. This bike will not win any races but the 28cc tires along with the disc brakes and the burnt orange color are great. I live in Texas so the color is perfect. My riding buddies named my bike the Orange Crush. I chose this bike after renting a Trek 1200, 1500 and also a Klein Quantum Race. I am a overweight rider and figured that this bike will give me the ability to continue my long rides thru the winter months here in Texas. The fenders also rock.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Love the bars. The Midges have just such a great shape with plenty of hand positions, and they are wide enough to allow lots of climbing leverage (like my Nitto mustache bars). I know a few other folks in the area that bought them and think they are their favorites. They tend to put Oury or other flat-bar grips on the ends and wrap the rest, but I went with some of the Fizik microfiber tape all the way. Who knows, perhaps if I try theirs out I will love the feel and make a similar change to mine.

I also have an assortment of other odd-shaped bars. Jones H-Bars, On-One Marys, Nitto mustache, Nitto North Road, Soma Major Taylor, wacky ape hangers... The Marys are on my wife's bike. I see that Titec is making their version of the H-Bar and Misfit has the Fubar (basically the same as the Mary, but less expensive). I just found out that WTB is selling its Dirt Drops again (specs here), which is what the Midge reminded everyone of once again. I am not sure how much the dimensions differ. The On-One Mungo is a nice mustache as well. The Soho comes with a swept-back bar that is interesting, but wasn't for me.

I am excited that there are so many options for different bars besides road drops, flat, or risers.

I put a Dure-Ace bar-end shifter on the top near the stem with one of the Paul Thumbies adapters. The cool thing is that it can easily switch into friction mode on the fly if the cable stretches or the shifting gets a little out of whack. I wasn't sure how I would like the shifter being such a distance away from the brake levers (having STI for 8 years on my roadie), but I guess that I am not racing and don't mind that little delay in getting a shift. I had to switch from the SRAM X9 rear derailleur that I had to a Shimano in order to use the shifter, though.

What is the Portland going for in-shop (under MSRP)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.