Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone here ever ordered a project one bike. I was going to get a new ride. It was going to be a road bike painted black with silver decals. My LBS wanted to charge me $500 more then the price he gave me. Is he just giving me a great deal on the bike?

Thanks for your feed back!

Gall

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my P1 two weeks ago and am EXTREMELY pleased! Here's a pic...
The paint is outstanding and if you plan on keeping the bike for a while, I think the extra money is worth having a unique bike.

Plus, if you're buying the complete bike you get a sweet break on some of the components when you do a "custom" build. I saved a few hundred on the carbon wheels vs. buying them outright.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
90 Posts
depends on components

My P1 Madone 5.2 w/ Ultegra 10 was around $3500, but I've heard of other people getting them for less. It all depends on your mix of components and what kind of deal you get from the LBS. You might want to shop around at different stores using the same spec selection, every one of them will probably quote a different price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
spacers...

That's a lot of spacers. Is that a carbon steerer? I was under the impression that most fork manufacturers limited the number of spacers you could use on a carbon steerer to somewhere around 3cms. You should check with Trek on that, and maybe flip your stem upside down and swap the spacers from below to above. Even if Trek says you're fine I'd do it anyway. It won't change your position at all, just the aesthetics, and if you ask me an upside down stem is no more ugly than too many spacers and I'd take the increased safety over aesthetics any day. (check the other thread on the board today where the pro racer crashed after his bars came detached from his bike from a broken steerer.)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/oct05/oct13news3

·
Registered
499 Posts
montyw2 said:
I just got my P1 two weeks ago and am EXTREMELY pleased! Here's a pic...
The paint is outstanding and if you plan on keeping the bike for a while, I think the extra money is worth having a unique bike.

Plus, if you're buying the complete bike you get a sweet break on some of the components when you do a "custom" build. I saved a few hundred on the carbon wheels vs. buying them outright.

Hope it helps!
That's a great looking bike. I'm assuming it's supposed to be a P-51 Mustang?

·
Registered
19 Posts
hackmechanic said:
That's a lot of spacers. Is that a carbon steerer? I was under the impression that most fork manufacturers limited the number of spacers you could use on a carbon steerer to somewhere around 3cms. You should check with Trek on that, and maybe flip your stem upside down and swap the spacers from below to above. Even if Trek says you're fine I'd do it anyway. It won't change your position at all, just the aesthetics, and if you ask me an upside down stem is no more ugly than too many spacers and I'd take the increased safety over aesthetics any day. (check the other thread on the board today where the pro racer crashed after his bars came detached from his bike from a broken steerer.)

It's an aluminum steerer.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration. Safety is certainly more important than aesthetics

·
Registered
19 Posts
topflightpro said:
That's a great looking bike. I'm assuming it's supposed to be a P-51 Mustang?
Thanks!

Actually the paint job is from the Flying Tigers squadron who fought in the Pacific theater. The plane they flew was actually the P-40 which was the predecessor to the P-51.

·
Registered
57 Posts
don't worry...

Your alloy steerer should be fine with any reasonable number of spacers. And since your fork is so nicely painted to match I don't suspect there will be a carbon steerered fork on that bike any time soon. Nice bike.

·
Registered
150 Posts
montyw2 said:
Thanks!

Actually the paint job is from the Flying Tigers squadron who fought in the Pacific theater. The plane they flew was actually the P-40 which was the predecessor to the P-51.
Very, very cool paint.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is why I ride my bike more and post less....

cmatcan said:
theres a lot of info on this in the trek forum-keep your more specific posts where they belong.

...because there is always somebody with a stick up there you know what that would rather post something negative.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Look carbon steerer has a limit of 30mm of spacers

hackmechanic said:

Interesting.... I was recently told that Look also limits the spacers on carbon steerer to 30mm maximum.....

How many spacers to you have there anyway? It only looks like ~30mm spacer from the photo anyhow i.e. even carbon steerer should be fine. If you flip up the stem you could reduce spacer down to ~15mm depending on stem angle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
no, youre right, lets just disregard all the different forums and post all our junk here in one big unmanageable pile that makes more sense.

·
Registered
38 Posts
$.02

There arent that many posts in RBR anyway so why dont leave this guy alone?
The post was quite nice i am not a Trek kind of guy, in fact i kind of dislike the brand. But i really enjoyed the post and i am gratefl that it was posted.

·
Registered
62 Posts
you know the board name is general discussion right ????

general ....HMMMM

$500 more than what price and for what bike ....the project 1's I've ordered for customers have been around $500-$700 more than normal price depending on the paint scheme you choose would love one myself but it's out of my range ....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts