Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So. I've read that Trek is considering becoming The name sponsor - and Becca wants to sell the license.

Seems a slam-dunk - both parties get what they want and a team on life-support gets a new crack at life.

But I wonder if Trek would not have been better off just dropping the mixed history associated with that team and just starting fresh - and free of baggage? Keep Andy and Spartacus on the payroll - hire Jens in some capacity and then just move on...

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andy appears to be on the mend, but I think it would make sense for Trek to have a back-up plan - Plan Uran would be a good one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
sounds like a good thing for all. only thing is we'll no longer hear the announcers--especially Bob Roll--pronunce the team name: "LAY-O-PAHD" Trek. (which i do know is the correct pronunciation, but still...always gave me a chuckle).

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait---does this mean no more "Does RadioShack make good electronics?" threads?
Almost sure of it! However, I predict a notable rise in the number and frequency of "Does Trek make good bikes?" threads and questions.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
blow it all up tbqh.

Maybe keep Fabian if his contract is not too overwhelming. Jens had a great showing but even the greatest can't last forever. Did Uran renew his contract with Sky or anything?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blow it all up tbqh.

Maybe keep Fabian if his contract is not too overwhelming. Jens had a great showing but even the greatest can't last forever. Did Uran renew his contract with Sky or anything?
Agreed, if I were top-brass at Trek I would definetly want to start with a clean slate and attempt to re-build. Keeping Spartacus for another two years - yeah, makes sense. Everybody else (including Andy) - show me the results this year and I'll show you a contract offer - otherwise go shopping. Get rid of Frank the Doper and put Jens in a media relations position simply because of his popularity in the U.S. market. He'll help sell Treks.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Agreed, if I were top-brass at Trek I would definetly want to start with a clean slate and attempt to re-build. Keeping Spartacus for another two years - yeah, makes sense. Everybody else (including Andy) - show me the results this year and I'll show you a contract offer - otherwise go shopping. Get rid of Frank the Doper and put Jens in a media relations position simply because of his popularity in the U.S. market. He'll help sell Treks.
Looks like we called it:

Report: Becca To Sell WorldTour Licence To Trek, Release Fränk Schleck | Cyclingnews.com

Team built around Spartacus - Frank is set free (Andy soon to follow?) - Trek buys Becca out. Basta!

Looks like Trek made Frank's exit a condition of the sale. No doubt Andy will follow his brother when his own contract expires (to set up a new team perhaps), leaving room at the top for a GC guy like Froome or Uran. All neat and tidy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry mate, but if you got rid of all the juicers you wouldnt have a sport worth watching. Guys gasping for air riding at 5 watts per kg in week 2 of the TDF vs a select group holding 6.5w/kg + for 30mins and not even puffing.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Sorry mate, but if you got rid of all the juicers you wouldnt have a sport worth watching. Guys gasping for air riding at 5 watts per kg in week 2 of the TDF vs a select group holding 6.5w/kg + for 30mins and not even puffing.
Nobody I know of is holding 6.5 W/Kg for 30 minutes, even in the pro peloton.

Froome's winning climb a couple days ago topped out at 6.18 for 30 minutes, and that's suspicious.

Back to Trek:
Pretty sure they needed to be the ones to take over Becca's license, otherwise they'd have to work out another deal to keep their bikes under a WT team.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where did you see that SRM file? Did you weight Froome that morning?

Even if it was true, look how the race played out. Froome was up on GC by a long shot so no need to make the obvious obvious. Look at how he sprinted at the end past MB lol!

See if you can hold 6.18 w/kg for 60 seconds...

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Where did you see that SRM file? Did you weight Froome that morning?

Even if it was true, look how the race played out. Froome was up on GC by a long shot so no need to make the obvious obvious. Look at how he sprinted at the end past MB lol!

See if you can hold 6.18 w/kg for 60 seconds...
pVAMing the TDF build up Dauphine stage 5 – more glorious than hookers and blow

Sky is making it MORE than obvious.

And why does it matter what I can hold wattage wise. What bearing does that have at all? (Hint: it's a smart ass way of saying "you don't race at that level so you don't have a clue." Neither do you, Mr. Base Mile Blast.)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im wary of basing a riders actual w/kg from some anonymous blog whose bias is not very transparent at all.

6.18 is an extraordinary wattage to hold for 30 mins after days of racing and hours riden that day. Then to be able to attack on top of that for the win...

I can hold 6.37 for 5mins on a climb with my power tap. Fresh legs. No way peeps are riding 30mins @ 6.18 with tired legs, full natty brah.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Froome is juicing for sure. His percentage improvement from last year compared to this year does not seem indicative of a natural progression for a person of his stature

His improvement rate seems to be that of teenagers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
what do you mean by "does not seem indicative of a natural progression for a person of his stature."

its not about progression. Its about absolute 30 minutes @ w/kg.

Most pro cyclists start competitive sport at around 8-12 years of age. They train full time for 10-20 years. Rate of progression has nothing to do with it. Its the absolute data that is highlights what is going on.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Im wary of basing a riders actual w/kg from some anonymous blog whose bias is not very transparent at all.

6.18 is an extraordinary wattage to hold for 30 mins after days of racing and hours riden that day. Then to be able to attack on top of that for the win...

I can hold 6.37 for 5mins on a climb with my power tap. Fresh legs. No way peeps are riding 30mins @ 6.18 with tired legs, full natty brah.
Doc is MORE than qualified to be discussing these things, and has been for quite some time now (as the former Captain T-Bag) as well as on cyclingnews. He admittedly doesn't have SRM data in front of him, but then again, nobody does. But the math is there (if you read back through the pVAM posts and such.)

There seems to be some kind of consensus (of who by name, I'm not sure) that the "magic number" of unassisted physiologically possible power is around 5.9ish W/Kg threshold. How does that stack up after a week long tour? I don't know. I also can't comment to the fatigue profile of 6.18 @ 30 min to 5.9 @ 60 min, since it would be dependent upon the individual cyclist. But I'm really hesitant to believe Froome, who came out of no where (remember him being DROPPED on the steep finishing climbs in the 2009 giro) to almost winning the 2011 Vuelta is clean. Same for Wiggins with his similar career arc of "win once or twice here" to "win everything he enters by 6 minutes."

As for VeloDoc, I would trust his analysis far more than I would Sutton's or Brailsford's bullsh!t.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.