Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been into MTB for awhile and am now able to also get a road bike. i love my Trek FuelEX full susp mtb, but there are two shops i deal with. one sells cannondale, the other trek. i would like to give the cannondale shop some business, but want the best bike for around 1000.00. i will still ride my mtb more, but want a decent road bike to help build up my endurance.

thxs

·
xploshin
530 Posts
If I were you I would go to both shops and explain to them what kind of riding you do and what your price range is. Then ride what they recommend for at least 10 miles, and see which you like best.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
At $1000, I would seriously consider watching Craigslist or a local bike club's classifieds. If you go that route, make sure you get a bike that fits.

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
MSRP wise you may have better luck on the cannondale side. Hard to say becasue they are not posted, but from what I see mentioned online it could be a good bet. Make sure the frame fits, that's all. I don't know what you are looking for but with Trek you have to spend 1800 before you can get to a 10 speed drivetrain, with cannondale I want to say the price for a 10 speed mixed drivetrain floats around $1300 CAAD9 5.

Is 10 speed absolutely necessary? Maybe not, but I know personally it's something that I really want having been on an 8 speed for going on 2 years now. If you were completely new to the sport I wouldn't push that on you, but considering you've been in the world of MTB for a while, and your weapon of choice (!), I'm assuming your standars for equipment are fairly high.

If it's only a secondary thing disregard this post. Try as many bikes as you can or you'll end up with a goofy fit like me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, any other replies are appreciated as well. i do appreciate good equipment, so if i need to spend a little more I will. I want a decent bike that I can enjoy and grow with and not have to upgrade right away. that is what i did with my MTB. bought a cheaper bike and than fairly soon ended up buying a more expensive bike. so any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I was in your position a few weeks ago.

Also coming from MTB looking to start with a road bike.
If you don't want to go used, here is a brief synopsis of my findings.

I started wanting to spend around 1k as well.

The more research I did it seemed that spending that extra couple hundred would be worth it in the long run, especially if you know you're going to like it. 200-300 might sting now, but over 4-5 years it's nothing for what you're getting. Also helps with resale unless you plan to upgrade right away anyway.

Most people say 105 components are the least you should get on an entry level. While it's not necessary that seems to be the consensus. Less maintenance and cleaner shifts/ride overall.

I went to 4 different LBS and rode a bunch of bikes. Giant Defy, Trek 2.1, Cannondale CAAD9 5/6, and Specialized Allez.

Each one had things I liked didn't like. The Cannondale fit me best, was the meanest and was most pretty in my mind :) I bought the CAAD9 5.

For the money the Cannondale can't really be beat. Plus it's an angry mongoose on the road. It's pretty stiff and probably not the 'best' for touring or Sunday riding, but it's sure fun on hills...

It comes down to fit. They're all pretty much the same in that price range, just make sure you get the one you like best. DO go and ride whatever you can. You'll also get an idea from the dudes at the shop which they think is best. Ask why.

Good luck.
and if you can't decide get the CAAD9
do a search in the forums and you'll see it's following :)

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
Just to chime in on my thoughts:

I used to be a person who didn't really get concerned about components and said that fit is really the most important thing. However, after having to deal with my wife's Tiagra bike the last few months, I would have to differ.

Tiagra is not a bad component group. It works well for its intended application. However, for someone who is coming over from a FuelEX, you probably appreciate technology. The tech of Tiagra is considerably lower than the groups above it. Its not that it doesn't work, but even for my wife, who is essentially a weekend warrior, even she has noticed how much better my shifting is under load, at high speeds, etc. She is ready to seriously upgrade what she has and can definitely tell the difference between 105 and Tiagra. The line between Dura Ace and Ultegra is small for most people; even 105 to Ultegra is not that huge. Tiagra to 105 seems to be a larger gap.

For the bikes, I tend to think you'll get a better deal with the Cannondale. I don't know exactly why, but the Treks seem to be way higher in cost that they have been in the past. I would go for the CAAD9 hands down over the Trek. I have owned one and loved it. If you can wait an extra month, the cost between the $1000 CAAD9-6 and the $1250.00 CAAD9-5 is WELL worth the extra @$250. Just my .02.

Also, look at the Synpase models. If you are going to ride the roads for various reasons, the more upright position might work better for you. Not to say the CAAD9 is harsh, just different geometry. Also, the Synapse can take larger tires, which has always been a plus for me. Good luck and post your ride after purchasing.

Bike pron rocks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Go for the CAAD 9. Its a rock solid frame that wont' let you down made by a company who's specialty has been aluminum since it started. The lowest level CAAD 9 6 goes for $1200 MSRP with Tiagra. But for a $1500 you get a full 105 Caad 9 that's bulletproof. And it's definitially upgradeable. As it was raced professionaly just a few years ago.

Like toper1 said, do a search for CAAD 9 on here and you'll see plenty of dedicated followers and some awsome pictures of CAAD 9's.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Also

Also, the CAAD9 is still made in the US if that means anything to you :)

I'm in Canada, but that was a strong factor for me.

Don't underestimate your purchasing power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 08 Trek 1.5 which was $950. I'm very happy with it.

I ride with a bike club 20-30 miles a couple nights during the week, and usually do a similar ride on the weekend by myself. I have also done a couple 50+ mile benefit rides, and rode my first century last August. To me this bike seems very light, fast, and agile. Climbs and corners well, stable on descents. Definitely not for bumpy roads or poor conditions. Use your mountain bike for that. (I have a 07 Trek 4500 for mud and dirt)

For more info on the 1.5 check out the Trek section in the forums. I also see that quite a few people are happy with their 2.1 which is in the $1200 area. Same frame, but higher level components and better wheels. A dentist that is in our group has one and couldn't be happier.

Malone out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought my bike today. i got a new Cannondale Synapse 7 (53cm). i got the bike for 900.00 from my LBS. i then got clipless pedals, a new seat, and speedo, all installed for about 1000.00 with free lifetime tuning. i took it for a quick ride today, way different feel from my MTB. i rode for 11 miles at 19-20 mph. it felt good, but the wind resistance makes it more difficult than i had imagined.

how is that speed wise? should i focus on quickly increasing my cruising speed prior to riding with a group?

i know the components aren't the best, but i like the frame and the dealer,, and it fit well. i can always upgrade the components over time. i like to buy bike parts :thumbsup:

·
Two scoops of inertia.
529 Posts
focus on spinning for long periods of time and the strength will come during/after. Generally you can find groups that ride at different paces, if not a recovery ride, where the average speed is lower. Screw the components if the bike fits well!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have to agree that for the $$ you're thinking of spending, a C-dale would be a better option - and that's hard for a guy with a garage full of Treks to say. Also - definitely go to the shop that has the bikes you're looking at and TALK to the sales guys as well as the "wrenches" - I am a firm believer in supporting a GOOD shop, as they will take care of you/your ride for many years to come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts