Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AKA: four days in the Low Sierra. This was my first tour with this bike, my first without a BOB, first tour with services en route, and my first that was more on pavement than not. I learned a lot and had a ball- great weather and great scenery, riding conditions fairly good. The main thing I wanted to ride was California Rte 70 through the Feather River canyon, but since I had five days off I was able to ride the whole thing starting and ending at my front door.

It`s pretty much an out and back route, but I detoured a little on the way home. For those familiar with the area, I rode up US 395 from Reno, 20 miles from home I hung a left on Hwy 70 and rode until it was time to turn around. I wanted to ride to the point where the highway crosses an arm of Lake Oroville, about 30 miles downstream where I stopped (Pulga), but didn`t make as much time as I had expected going downstream, so cut it short to get home by last night. On the way back, I made BETTER time than expected (tailwinds), so I followed highways 89 and 49 around the South side of the Sierra Valley (70 runs on the North side). The canyon is one of my favorite car rides and I`ve been dying to pedal it- I think the highway crosses six bridges within about 50 miles and goes through three tunnels. The railroad tracks do the same thing so that the road is always on the opposite side as the tracks and often the highway bridge goes directly over the train bridge or vise versa.

After four long days and 300+ miles, I ended up with a LOT of pictures and have a hard time trying to pare them down to a reasonable quantity- sorry about the file size. I just can`t figure what else to leave out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day two.

Second day was from near Quincy to Pulga. One of the big sights before getting into the main part of the canyon is the Keddie "Y", where the tracks come out of a tunnel right under the road and onto a split tressle over the canyon- one branch West and one branch South.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More second day.

Continuing downstream, there are a lot of little fishing resorts/ summer cottages that made for nice detours. Most have only a mile or two of road along the river, but super pretty. Most of the bridges and all the tunnels were in this section. As I had done the night before, I cut up into the hills away from the highway to camp. This time it was off a nasty little road from the Pulga siding that crawled up the side of the mountain to great views of the river, tracks, and highway down below.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day three.

Back up the way I had just been- surprising how much different it looked in the other direction. Third camp was just past Quincy, about ten miles from camp one.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks, Rodar. Really enjoyed the pictures. I'm a Reno native and still have a lot of family in the area, but haven't been out there much the last couple of years. My folks used to have a place at Graeagle, so I saw a lot of those roads around the Sierra Valley. A couple of times back about 16-17 years ago I did an MS 150 ride that started at Hallelujah Junction, overnighted in Quincy, and ended in Susanville (where my brother and I would prepare for the bus ride back by having a couple of Picon punches at the Basque bar in the St. Francis Hotel).

That's a terrific ride you did. Glad you pulled it off.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JCavilia said:
Thanks, Rodar. Really enjoyed the pictures. I'm a Reno native and still have a lot of family in the area, but haven't been out there much the last couple of years. My folks used to have a place at Graeagle, so I saw a lot of those roads around the Sierra Valley. A couple of times back about 16-17 years ago I did an MS 150 ride that started at Hallelujah Junction, overnighted in Quincy, and ended in Susanville (where my brother and I would prepare for the bus ride back by having a couple of Picon punches at the Basque bar in the St. Francis Hotel).

That's a terrific ride you did. Glad you pulled it off.
Thanks, JC. Graeagle and most of Sierra Valley comming up on for the fourth day. I remember you saying that you lived around here.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day four- the home stretch.

I said in the first post that I came back on the South side of the S.V. Actually, I cut across the middle on county roads (Heriot Lane and Dyson Rd) from near Loyalton to near Vinton- very peaceful riding with zero traffic for a change. I`ve always gotten a kick out of the signs that say 49N and 89S simultaneously- makes me think that maybe budget cutbacks don`t allow the state enough money for a compass. There is about a fifteen mile stretch that`s like that. Last day was a long one as usual- over 90 miles this time. Funny thing- that makes three times I`ve finished a tour with a long day, over 90 but under 100. Obviously, those were loaded days. One time I actually hit that hundred mark unloaded and it hurt five times more than my long tour days. Anyway, here are the rest of my pics.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I get jealous of you folks that live in such pretty place. The bridges look like they turned some kids loose with an erector set.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
man, I need to move somewhere with mountains. and an earlier spring.

beautiful shots!

·
Non non normal
10,101 Posts
Really nice pictures. I love touring/camping on the bike.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That looks like a great time... Thanks for taking us along.

singlecross

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Looks great, why did you decide to forego the BOB?

At the end of the trip how did you feel about a BOB vrs Panniers?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The BOB stayed home for this trip, but it isn`t forgone by any means. Due to the logistics of this particular ride I was able to get by easilly with 24# of gear + 1.5 l of water. Horses for courses...
BOB VS panniers? I can say that 19# on the back rack and 5# on the front rack with 26x1.25 Paselas is a lot easier to pull on than 40# in a BOB and 5# in front with 26 x 2.1 knobbies. Does that help any?

EDIT: If I could only afford one method or were really pressed for space (small appartment), I`d be plenty happy with just the BOB. It`s the only way to fly for some things and works well enough even where panniers would be a little better.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Nice post and the scenery is beautiful. I loved the trestles overlapping in those canyons. It's posts like those that make me miss the West.

Bob

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
This appears to be the general area for this years MS150 ride held by the Reno Chapter.

Host site: River Pines Resort 8296 Highway 89, Blairsden, CA

Last year it was at Lake Tahoe and we thought about flying out for this year's event - assuming Lake Tahoe.

After they changed the location, we tentatively decided not to make the trip, but if their route has any of the scenery in your pics, the ride could be a good one.

They don't have their route published yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts