Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the market for a bike, I would prefer to go Brand New, and get the whole LBS experience and Fitting, but I feel the only new bikes I can afford I will get sick of too quickly. And I don't know if I have the Patience to save even more money for a better than entry level bike.

So doing some searches on Craigslist, I see ALOT of higher end Tri Bikes that are fairly Affordable in my area, compared to the Road Bikes that are for sale.

Can I commute on a Tri bike? My commute will be 25 Miles Each Way. I assumed that eventually I'd get Aero Bars for the Commute if I got a Standard Road Bike anyway.

Will people think I'm retarded if I show up to a Group Ride/ Race in a Tri Bike?

Thanks in advance.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If you're a new roadie I think it's extremely unlikely you'll be happy with a tri bike. They're built for only one thing - to go fast by yourself on relatively straight roads. In order to do that you'll have to assume a very aerodynamic position, which is NOT comfy.

Most groups/clubs that I know of will not allow you to ride with them if you have aero bars on your bike. Why? Because it's extremely hard, if not impossible, to adequately control the bike when you're on the bars. It's hard to reach the brakes when you're on the bars. You have to sit up and move your hands from the aero bars to the flat bars just to get to them. Tri bikes/time trial bikes are built for fairly smooth roads. LOL! I don't know where you're from, but we have precious few of those here in Ohio.

If it were me, I'd look at a relatively "standard configuration" of a road bike. I don't know how much you have to spend, but good bikes can be had new for $1000 to $10,000. Used are lots less. My suggestion is go to a good LBS, get fitted and look around. If you can, take a bike savvy friend with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, that helps narrow things down a lot. My budget is around $1k, I'm hoping for everything, bike and gear.

I live in Florida so the roads are flat, but they are crappy. I think I'll take your advice and Stick to looking for a Road bike.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.