Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you have parts to build it up? What type of riding do you envision? Is this your only bike? Do you plan to do a great deal of riding or is this for releasing stress after work?

You can build it up - it's a frame after all but you might notice a few things such as a shorter top tube and one location for a water bottle. The set tube angle may be more upright as well to place the rider in a more forward position.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes. Looks like the proprietary seatpost allows positioning the saddle rearward enough to conform to a normal road bike fit. Assuming you can set up the bars at the correct height and reach you're good to go. TT bikes sometimes have stiff ride characteristics and bit less lateral stiffness than optimum, but certainly completely usable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would sell the frame on eBay and buy a complete bike. You will get a better ride and probably for less money in the end. My friend tried this with a really nice Giant TCR TT a few years back, it worked but it wasn't great.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi, I have a Blue T14 TT/Tri Frame which was given to me. I was wondering if I can use it for a road bike instead. Any inputs on this would be appreciated...Thanks!
I did this with a Cervelo P2K frame. The geometry creates a few issues. None of them are deal-breakers, but they do definitely complicate things. For the record, I am 5'11" and smack dab between a 54cm and 56cm. Currently, I ride a 54 with a 125mm stem.

First, the headtube is obscenely short. I ride a 54 with a slammed stem, and the TT frame was still too low for me.

Secondly, the seatpost will still be relatively far forward (76º). That's not really a problem. It lends the bike similar fit characteristics to a 56cm with a forward seat post (which I have done).

Finally, the cornering is a little strange. On my current bike, there is a magic point* of saddle setback where anything behind that, and I can bomb crit corners like a madman, but any ahead of that, and the bike becomes unstable and twitchy.

As was said, it will work, but maybe not be great.

Blue makes a reasonably nice aero road frameset that would fulfill the same purpose, called the AC1 (SL) (Ride Blue). It is totally raceable, but the seat stays are soggy compared to the crit rocket that I ride.

*: On my Arione and 25mm setback post, the saddle needs to be about dead center on the rails. I have a line drawn on the rails at this point to line up the seatpost clamps. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with all of the above. The low stack, longer reach, and maybe even fork rake makes for handling that is very sensitive to input. The feeling you have at the end of a ride or race is that you are sub-optimally positioned somewhere between a TT bike and a road bike. It hurt my body and performance. But it looks hella cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.