Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's already blazing hot this year in Texas. I ride near a lake a lot and have found post-ride dips in the lake to be quite refreshing. I've been thinking that pre-ride and mid-ride dips might be just the thing to make rides more enjoyable, but I don't want to have to change clothes frequently. I had the idea of trying cycling shorts used by triathletes and clipless sandles used by old men on touring bikes. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can recommend brands or other options. I'm most worried about the sandals lacking enough support. I'm a recreational rider that mostly sits and spins,but I do go over some rough, hilly terrain. Any thoughts?

· In dog years, I'm dead.
123 Posts
bsdc said:
It's already blazing hot this year in Texas. I ride near a lake a lot and have found post-ride dips in the lake to be quite refreshing. I've been thinking that pre-ride and mid-ride dips might be just the thing to make rides more enjoyable, but I don't want to have to change clothes frequently. I had the idea of trying cycling shorts used by triathletes and clipless sandles used by old men on touring bikes. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can recommend brands or other options. I'm most worried about the sandals lacking enough support. I'm a recreational rider that mostly sits and spins,but I do go over some rough, hilly terrain. Any thoughts?
The tri shorts have a thin fleece chamois that doesn't take on a lot of water & dries quickly. But it doesn't provide quite as much padding as a standard bike chamois. As far as tri-short brands: Speedo, Tyr, Zoot, & 2XU are pretty good. I don't know anything about clipless sandals. Why not just use regular mtb shoes on the bike & take them off to swim? Get the velcro or buckle kind that go on & off fast. Triathletes do that to.

If you really do a hard workout on the bike, you might want to be careful of cramping when you quench yourself in the lake. That's why triathlons start with the swim. Then again, maybe your lakes in TX are warm enough that it's not a problem. Here in NY, most of our lakes are still under 60 degrees F.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I'd stick to your regular road shoes. Bring a bandanna to dry/clean off your feet after swimming. Or get some tri shoes are ride barefoot.

As to tri shorts, they do have less padding. But I personally don't like super-padded shorts anyway, because the chamois tends to bunch and chafe. As long as you have a saddle that works well for you, the tri shorts should be a non-issue.

bsdc said:

· Registered
3,431 Posts
I have a pair of spd sandals made by Sette (Pricepoint). They work great, although I've never ridden more than about 40 miles with them. They're worth a try because they are pretty inexpensive, work well, and if you don't like them for cycling, they're great sandals (I have used them a lot as walking sandals before I installed the spd cleats).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.